1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gimme Some Horror

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by General Skanky, Apr 10, 2001.

1. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I'm starting to lack in the thrill/chill department.
    Someone tell me a good one to watch.
    Last one I saw was What Lies Beneath.
    I need 'cover your eyes up' stuff.
    Feed me!!! :)

2. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    How about these from Dino De Horrendous?

Silence of the [infected] Lambs
    Chicken Run [like fudge]
    Goose Point Blank

3. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Oh no what have I done ?

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey General I know what you mean !

Mind you "horror" is very subjective isn't it ? I thought Event Horizon was the scariest film I've seen, because it worked for me. My mate came round and we watched it and we jumped and shuddered. But when my girlfriend watched it she wasn't even slightly unnerved !

I got a hunger for some horror a couple of months ago and got The Thing and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Neither of which did anything for me. I was especially disappointed by The Thing which is liked by a lot of people for being a quality film. Maybe it's just dated...

I guess I've seen too much gore to be scared by it anymore. I need the psychological stuff. Wonder if American Psycho would fit the bill ?

Cheers,

DF

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Peas in a pod DF. :)
    I want to be scared. Simple really.
    My hopes were raised a bit by the new vamp film out soon on DVD, Shadow of the Vampire, but would you bally believe it, it looks pants!!!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrr :mad:
    I liked Event Horizon too. So what if it was a bit silly, I like the scare!
    I want to kick Hollywood up the arse and get some decent horror films made.

And R Man. :) :) :)

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: General Skanky ]

6. General Murmur

General Murmur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't say it often enough , but if you aint seen Stir of Echoes and you've got an above average sound setup. Please try it, the scene where he is 1st put under by his sister in law gives me the willies every time, not to mention the scene on the couch.

7. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    General II,
    Got it, seen it have the tee shirt. :D
    Excellent film.
    But not much else around to get my hands over my eyes.

8. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    Give Audition a try from
    http://www.dddhouse.com (I shop there all the time)

It's in the Japanese section and delivery is between 1 and 2 weeks from Hong Kong. Best of all, it'll only cost you about £6-7 delivered.
    There's a couple of bits that make peeps shriek and leap out of their skin. Mostly it's quite unnerving. Tartan will be releasing it this year but after their Hard Boiled and Return Of The Living Dead discs.....*gulp*

Horror films are difficult to recommend to mainstream movie fans as usually the mainstream boys don't like the decent horror films. Stuff like Scream, Nightmare On Elm Street, Urban Legend, Blair Witch and all that garbage should be avoided by everyone. Hollywood hasn't made a decent horror film since the mid eighties.
    What Lies Beneath....... :rolleyes:

Still, no disrespect to anyone that does like this kinda stuff though, it's different tastes that make the world go round. But in my humblest, it's stuff like Scream that's really put the final nail in the coffin that is "American Horror".

Of recent stuff.....
    The Spanish zombie movie Premutos is good. German flick Anatomy is out in the UK in a couple of weeks.
    To find decent horror you have to look far beyond the mainstream.

Oops, forgot a few such as Untold Story, Ebola Syndrome, Human Pork Chop, There's A Secret In My Soup, all of which have "cover yer eyes" moments in abundance.

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Rambo John J ]

9. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Rambo,

I'm just really shallow :D!!
    I want chills and thrills and jump out of your seat stuff.
    I like most films and I don't 'get into them' as much as others.
    Thanks for the suggestion though, I shall have a looksie. :)

10. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John J,

What da ya mean Untold Story is a cover your face for the entire movie... :eek:

11. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Rambo,

I've just had a look at the site, it certainly is different. However, I know it's not for me. How did you get into it? It looks to be an acquired taste. Are they dubbed/subtitles etc?

12. karla

karla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Audition is a great movie. I also like Blair Witch (best seen before the hype)
    Rambo, you said they have not made a decent horror film since the mid eighties. What was it?
    Hollywood cannot make horror as horror cannot, by definition, be commercial?

13. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    General S,

If you want horror, then try any of these:-

1) Manhunter

2) The Ring

3) Thesis (aka Tesis - Region 1 Spanish horror about a student doing her thesis on snuff movies, and discovers her lecturers are in a real-life snuff-movie gang, and are slowly offing all of their students!)

Pooch

14. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,233
    BOO

Did it work :D

15. karla

karla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aaagh.
    Scared me, anyway.

16. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    :eek:

17. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hmm, easily Bemused :rolleyes:

18. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027

Oops, got me there, that should have been "America" rather than "Hollywood". The last truly good horror film to come from America was around that kinda ReAnimator and Society time. You're right about Blair Witch aswell, it only works if you've never heard of it before (I guess we were lucky on that score).

And General Skanky, as for dddhouse, I was pointed in that direction for a film once and never looked back. The films are a pittance and most are dubbed or subtitled. Great place to find HK action stuff that gets released on the Tai Seng label in the US for a massive price increase. eg The Seventh Curse (ace Chow Yun Fat flick) HK disc @ around £6 delivered, US Tai Seng disc $25 + shipping from somewhere like Amazon, and it's exactly the same disc just repackaged. If you like HK action or wierdo HK horror or kung fu, then this place is a fine shop. And it's cheap enough to take the odd gamble aswell.

And Jenz (love yer site BTW), Untold Story is nothing compared to a lot of stuff I've seen. Anthony Wong must be carrying the HK film industry virtually singlehanded, the guy's in just about everything.

19. karla

karla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...Society and Reanimator...
    Classic films that looked as though they might have been the start of something special...Anyone see "From Beyond"?
    What about Henry:pOASK? not horror as in "scary" but very creepy and depressing!
    Sorry to the purists out there, but I quite liked the last Texas Chainsaw film as well. Maybe its my weird taste, but I just can't help myself! :)

20. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    I do have a fondness for all that low budget stuff myself....Henry, Combat Shock, Mothers Day, Last House on The Left, Eraserhead, Driller Killer, Bad Lieutenant, and so it goes on and on and on

For anyone that's interested, at dddhouse you can get the whacked out Jap surreal horror flick Uzumaki, rapidly becoming the darling of the film festival scene, for a paltry 6 or 7 quid. Buy now or regret it forever (or not, as the case may be).

And keep your eyes peeled for Battle Royale, Beat Takeshi's violent film that's getting it's first UK airing at the London Fright Fest in August, just a mere 3 months after it'll become available to buy in Hong Kong (with the obligatory tiny pricetag) 3rd week in May. This one'll be very contraversial (is that spelt right??).

From Beyond. Great film, baaad disc. Awful disc. Send it to bed without any supper!

21. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  22. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    It's fair to mention that it'll only do "for the moment", as the definitive (probably 3 disc) version, featuring all 3 different cuts of the film, will be coming from Anchor Bay at some point either this year, next year or the year after, and will definitely render all previous versions obsolete. But if you've got to have it now, the Dutch version would be the one to go for, albeit a pretty disappointing presentation of a classic film. Although if you're a fan, you end up with all possible versions anyway as there's always a "definitive" version of Dawn Of The Dead just around the corner, or a must have extra such as the Savini commentary. I guess it's one of those that's destined to be released time and time again in slightly different versions, a la Star Wars.

I always preferred Argento's cut myself, but I reckon I'm in the minority there.

And whoever gave me the 5 star rating, that's awfully kind of you :D I'm chuffed to bits.

[ 20-04-2001: Message edited by: Rambo John J ]

23. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John J,

Gave you the 5 because I think your site is tops for Horror DVD (and you only live just up the road from me ;))

Regards Neil.

24. The Taskmaster

The Taskmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know about you guys, but the 'lifelike' doll in the 6th day was the scariest thing I've seen in long time. That and the legless Indian guy in X-files last week.

25. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    even worse thinking about him going up your a***............ :eek:

26. karla

karla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Argento's a genius..but what the hell went wrong with "Phantom of the Opera"?

27. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    Aaaah, I only do reviews and shout my mouth off on the message boards. J is the guy who runs it and a very nice guy he is too, even if he does like his punk tunes a bit too much. It is a great site though, as is Bullets and Babes, the one stop chop for HK action fans :D

[ 20-04-2001: Message edited by: Rambo John J ]

28. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    Wasn't that legless dude the freakiest! I'm sure he was one of the small guys at Mings court in Flash Gordon, wasn't he Princess thingy's pet she led around on a chain?

29. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    Well, I'm not much of an Argento fan myself :eek: but I can recognise that that one was far from his best. I think it was a combination of things, not least of which was that tower of acting talent Julian sands. I just think it was a bad moment all round for everyone involved.
    I've been reliably informed that NonHoSonno, or Sleepless to give it it's international title, is definitely a return to form though. It's no Profondo Rosso, but it apparently takes him back to his Opera level, so he's rediscovering his feet by the looks of things. But, as usual, it probably couldn't get a UK release without cuts :(

Keep your eyes peeled for the upcoming Grindhouse release of Cannibal Holocaust, it'll be the definitive version of a very powerful film and looks like to be including the lost "pirhanna" sequence, aswell as a volatile commentary from Deodato and Robert Kerman and a host of other extras. Am I rambling? I'm outta here :D

30. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Rambo,

The mythical "Piranha" sequence from CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST will NEVER appear in any version of the film! Why? Simply because that particular scene was never, ever filmed!

Deodato did set-up the sequence, and he/his crew did take still photographs of what was going to take place during this scene, however he did not like it, and in the end, scrapped it. It was also scrapped, in part, due to financial costs.

The reason that everyone who knows about this scene, thinks it was filmed, is only down to the existance, and continued use of, these stills! If you want more proof, then check out the FAB Press book: "Cannibal Holocaust And The Savage Cinema Of Ruggero Deodato", available in most UK book stores for about £18 paperback.

Hope this will help quell this amazing anomaly.

Pooch