• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Gigabyte X38-DQ6 Continuous Beeps

indie1982

Established Member
I'm just upgrading my machine and I've got a new Gigabyte X38-DQ6 motherboard to go with an oldish P4 540 (until the Wolfdales are out), 4 x 1GB Crucial PC2-4200 (533Mhz) RAM (until I upgrade the CPU) and a Radeon 1950XTX Graphics Card that I already had.

When I turn the machine on I get continuous beeps, the manual says re-seat the graphics card, tried that still the same. What is odd is that the machine keeps resetting, I'll turn it on, it'll beep then after a few seconds the power will die then it'll turn on again and do the same thing. Also after a few seconds the CPU fan will stop spinning.

I've checked and re-checked the cabling and removed all extra devices so that there's only the Motherboard, CPU, RAM, GFX Card and 1 SATA HD connected.

Now the CPU is on the Gigabyte supported list but the RAM isn't, could it be that the RAM is running at a lower frequency than they support? I thought it would have at least done a POST and then moaned about the RAM.

Does anyone have any ideas?

UPDATE: I've removed everything from the case to check for shorts. On cardboard and with all the RAM removed it no longer turns itself off and on but it still beeps constantly. Put the RAM back in and it goes on and off and the CPU fan stops.

At least i know there's no shorts now and the RAM is the only thing that's possibly incompatible. Can't get hold of any RAM to check though...

J

jkotik

I have exactly the same problem with Gigabyte X38-DS5 which I have bought today. It seems hopeless, I dont know which componenet is causing this :((. Did you resolve the problem already?? Thanks for any help !

Jan

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom