Gigabyte readies silent HDMI, HDCP graphics card

i got all excited then for a moment.....

then I realised the 7600GS does not support inverse telecine or bad edit correction….
Need 7600GT minimum

plus i'd prefer one with their SilentPipe2 configuration

I don't know why everyone is getting so excited about HDMI graphics cards & doubtless the premium prices that they will command. Just use a DVI->HDMI converter.

nigelbb said:
I don't know why everyone is getting so excited about HDMI graphics cards & doubtless the premium prices that they will command. Just use a DVI->HDMI converter.

I think it's more the HDCP capabilities plus the ability to send audio down the cable as well rather than just the connector.

TheCrow said:
I think it's more the HDCP capabilities plus the ability to send audio down the cable as well rather than just the connector.
The audio down the same cable I can perhaps understand if you just want sound & video through the HDTV. However as far as I understand it HDCP demands that the whole chain of hardware from disk through drive through PC through graphics card through monitor all has to support HDCP. I know that the media comapnies seem to be backing down a bit over HDCP but at present basically to comply with what they want to do you need to have a complete certified system. This isn't going to happen for a DIY system just becasue your purchased a graphics card with HDMI (& HDCP).

nigelbb said:
The audio down the same cable I can perhaps understand if you just want sound & video through the HDTV. However as far as I understand it HDCP demands that the whole chain of hardware from disk through drive through PC through graphics card through monitor all has to support HDCP. I know that the media comapnies seem to be backing down a bit over HDCP but at present basically to comply with what they want to do you need to have a complete certified system. This isn't going to happen for a DIY system just becasue your purchased a graphics card with HDMI (& HDCP).

But without HDCP you will not be able to play HD-DVD or Blue Ray discs.
Additionally AFAIK you need HDCP to play video on Windows Vista.

I'm with Nigel on this,

Whilst its a step in the right direction, there is not really any point in having the right connectors if the MCE cannot receive, process and display HD content. The real issues are getting HD content into MCE in the first place (there is no 'official' way to do this in the UK and the only unofficial way is with Sky and tricking MCE into believing a DVT card is a DVS card) and having a trusted OS.

See the full post in the sticky MCE FAQ thread: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3341196#post3341196

Cheers

John

So... how does the graphics card HDMI slot send audio from the sound card or onboard sound - I don't get it?

deleted member said:
So... how does the graphics card HDMI slot send audio from the sound card or onboard sound - I don't get it?

There is an spdif input on the card which you need to connect to your sound card.

TheCrow said:
But without HDCP you will not be able to play HD-DVD or Blue Ray discs.
Additionally AFAIK you need HDCP to play video on Windows Vista.
With my Vista BETA build I am more than capable in playing videos without HDCP...Also Vista does not include support to receive the HDTV broadcasts either....
I don't have an HD-DVD/BlueRay drive to test that bit out....I can't see the fuss either, I'm quite happily using a DVI-HDMI cable.....

Am I not right in thinking that DVI out on standard graphics cards is an Anaologue signal? DVI-A? And HDMI is uncompressed digital feed so surely superior? Not to mention the HDCP Future ready benefits, and all in 1 cable sound and video.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom