Gigabyte P35W v5 4K Gaming Laptop Review

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Also, at that screen size and native resolution, there are other general usage problems.
Text and icons are way too small at standard settings to be usable.
You have to crank them up to almost maximum size.
Other programs are unusable at those settings.
jriver for example.
Many windows utilities are also unusable, like RDC.
I use RDC to manage my servers, a laptop like this shows the remote screen with microscopic text and icons, impossible to use.

Windows (and many programs that run on it) is not yet ready for this resolution at this screen size.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
At 99C it won't last that long.
The temperatures are a concern, something Gigabyte always seem to struggle with.

Also, at that screen size and native resolution, there are other general usage problems.
Text and icons are way too small at standard settings to be usable.
You have to crank them up to almost maximum size.
Other programs are unusable at those settings.
jriver for example.
Many windows utilities are also unusable, like RDC.
I use RDC to manage my servers, a laptop like this shows the remote screen with microscopic text and icons, impossible to use.

Windows (and many programs that run on it) is not yet ready for this resolution at this screen size.
The majority of the programs I used for benchmarking all run perfectly with 4K resolution, but you are right there are some that you need to really look close at the screen to use properly.

The games all seem to be adjusted well to 4K, it's other applications that haven't caught up yet. Hopefully in time as 4K becomes more prevalent they will issues new software that is better suited to 4K resolutions.

Technikal

Greg, it's probably worth pointing out in these reviews that these laptops will not be able to run VR games despite being called 'gaming laptops'. Any laptop that uses Optimus (which is most of them) will not work with the Oculus rift.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
despite being called 'gaming laptops'.
The rift isn't even out yet, and you only have to glance at the current poll on any hardware site to see that VR is going to be a niche market for the next couple of years.

Even if VR turns out to have long term staying power this laptop will be old by the time that is evident enough to consider VR more than just the latest shiny.

Technikal

The rift isn't even out yet, and you only have to glance at the current poll on any hardware site to see that VR is going to be a niche market for the next couple of years..
I've owned a rift for almost 3 years, the consumer version is out next month. Which polls are you referring to? the only one I found suggests the opposite.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom