Gigabyte P34W v3 Gaming Laptop Review

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
I can deal with the noise and heat issues during gaming, but what concerns me is fan noise during less demanding work. Do you think I'd be able to use this in a classroom setting, or would the fans be an issue even during word processing, etc?
It should be ok in a classroom setting, but don't expect it to be silent. Even on less demanding work the fans would sometimes be on (albeit at a low setting). Unless your classroom is completely silent I'd say it would be ok.

TMOT

Novice Member
It should be ok in a classroom setting, but don't expect it to be silent. Even on less demanding work the fans would sometimes be on (albeit at a low setting). Unless your classroom is completely silent I'd say it would be ok.
Awesome, thanks for your help. One more question: Do you think its worth buying the p34w already upgraded to 16gb of RAM? I know current titles don't really demand it, but I heard it may be necessary in the not-too-distant future. On the other hand, I'm wondering if the GTX970m will still be good for games requiring that much RAM...

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Awesome, thanks for your help. One more question: Do you think its worth buying the p34w already upgraded to 16gb of RAM? I know current titles don't really demand it, but I heard it may be necessary in the not-too-distant future. On the other hand, I'm wondering if the GTX970m will still be good for games requiring that much RAM...
I wouldn't bother with 16GB. 8GB will be fine for any games. I haven't ever got close to my 8GB on my desktop PC even with the latest games, so I don't think it's worth wasting money on unnecessary RAM.

Nice review mate - how does this fare in benchmark gaming wise versus a desktop i7 and 970?

stevos

Distinguished Member
I can deal with the noise and heat issues during gaming, but what concerns me is fan noise during less demanding work. Do you think I'd be able to use this in a classroom setting, or would the fans be an issue even during word processing, etc?
I have the v2 and suspect its pretty similar. If you switch the fan control to automatic (i put high performance for gaming), it is pretty much silent for webbrowsing etc, well a light hum similar to any other laptop outside top end ultra quiet ones. However automatic gives pretty poor game performance, so clearly not that clever an automatic.

I don't really push it graphically, playing games like WoW, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Civ, etc, but its never missed a beat.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom