Gigabyte GTX 460 OC & Palit GTX 460 Sonic. SLI Advice and questions I need help with

Got my Corsair 850W through this morning and it's got cables comine out of it's ears. Glad it's modular as half the cables have been left in the box.

I now have my main system up and running, just one GPU in at the moment, I'm going to get the other one in, in a minute, though I'm unsure how to sli yet, but I have everything here.

Do I just plug the other card in and it recognizes it, or do I need to install anything extra?

My gigabyte card has the monitor lead coming out of it one for my main monitor and one for my extended desktop.
I'd prefer to use the other graphics card for the main monitor and gigabyte one for my extended display as the other GPU has a proper hdmi socket rather than a flimsy mini hdmi adapter combo.
Can I do that?

Also my gigabyte card is clocked at 715 and the other one is 700. Will the system make the clocks run both at the lower automatically or do I have to set the clock's myself?
(Hoping that the system will do it for now at least )

Hoping to get the second graphics card in before 1900 tonight, so I can get on with some gaming when the soaps are on :)
So any help here would be great.

tris

I would reinstall the nvidia drivers and dont forget your sli bridge. Make sure sli is enabled in the drivers and your good to go. :)

Have fun mate. :smashin:

Play Sleeping Dogs with no vsync and an uncapped framerate so you can turn the heat off in the house. Should keep the whole family toasty warm :)

So even though one runs at 715mhz and the other 700mhz all I have to do is plug the second card in now, shove the sli bridge on and the system/drivers will do the rest?

Nothing fancy I need to set/adjust etc....? (Apart from enabling sli in the panel)

Once confirmed I'll get my jiggy on and get the other card in :)

One more question on top of the above questions:
Does the sli bridge fit only one way or doesn't it matter?

And thanks for all the help guys :)

tris

Play Sleeping Dogs with no vsync and an uncapped framerate so you can turn the heat off in the house. Should keep the whole family toasty warm :)

Somthing I should be worrying about?

Yeah, it really is that simple. If you want to know if sli is working you can enable a visual indicator in the nvidia control panel menu. Its ugly and obtrusive and a horrid shade of green so you wont want to have it on unless you suspect you have issues.

No don't worry about sleeping dogs was just a joke ;)

It is very GPU intensive and makes my cards work harder than any other benchmark or game. Well within spec mind you, but enough to heat up the small room I game in :)

Thanks for that :)

I run sleeping dog's on my system just fine at settings I posted images of in the SD thread. My GPU was a 85-99% load all the time mind, so I'm hoping sli will help it a little.

So when running two 1gb cards in sli, do I get 2gb of video memory? How does it work?

Just eating tea when reading this, so I'll get on with getting the card in after :)

tris

I'm presuming running two cards will help take the load off the rest of the system and possibly eachother

tris

Ok both cards in now, and I have enabled it in nVidia control panel.

It says Sli Enabled on the left side under 'sli configuration' and in the right side it physx GTX 460 (1)

So, is that set right? Or is there something else I need to do?
I know what Physx is, but not sure if having it enabled (not that I can turn it off, just switch between cards and cpu), but I'm wanting to use sli fully.

So is that set for full sli or just normal operation with one card operating as a phsx only?

cheers

tris

Looks good to me, and looks like sli is set fully, you can change individual games settings through the control panel like normally.

You dont want the cpu running physx, and you might as well leave it on.

Well, looks like some gaming time is in order for me then :)

Thanks very much for the help guy's, time to start seeing what eye candy I can turn up in a few games and what temps I get :smashin:

Current temps of the cards are:
46oc and 31oc.

30-35 is my norm and 64 is the most I have seen it go under a little pressure, so I'll report back with some new temps after some gaming :)

tris

First temp's, any motion blur had been disabled as I don't like it.

2-3 hours of BF3 last night the main card went to 66oc, so only 2oc hotter than it usually does.
Second card went to 77oc, so I'm hoping that's not hot enough to damage the card.
Ultra settings.
Had the same texture flicker's now and again protruding from npc's heads, and some weird 'matrix' type effect when I face certain textures.
Going to windowed then full screen fixed this and it seems to do it every now and then. Very distracting.
Had a google and found that a lot of people have had similar problem's.

2-3 hours on sleeping dogs, temps only went to 66oc or under, and I gained some fps when racing at high speed, still looks gorgeous.

tris

Hi nero
I've got a mate who's thinking of SLI'ing his current GTX 460 OC, how did you find the SLI experience in the end and did SLI 460s make a big difference compared to one? FWIW he's mainly playing BF3 and hopefully soon BF4!

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom