Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H Audio problem.

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by SANDIETEDDY, Feb 7, 2009.

1. SANDIETEDDY

SANDIETEDDY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a centre back speaker but can't get audio from it when using my HTPC.

My HTPC is conected to a Yamaha amp via SPDIF optical, I also have my DVD player connected to the amp via digi coax.

Since I wasn't getting any audio from the centre back speaker when playing .mkv files via kmplayer I checked it with a copy of Lord of the Rings extended edition dvd. When I play the dvd through my dvd player and select the DTS ES 6.1 option, I get the Centre back audio but when I put the dvd in my HTPC, no Centre back audio. The amp still shows DTS ES, so I'm now confused as to what the problem is. I had a look at the KMplayer filters but to be honest i hadn't a clue what I was looking for.

Any help woud be really appreciated.

2. scotty78

scotty78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I dont know the answer to your post but im intrested in this as well, I also have my htpc conected to my yamaha ax750 via optical and I have been considering adding a rear centre speaker into my setup. Im not sure if my htpc outputs 7.1 over optical, my motherboard is an asus P5E-V. My amps served me well over the last few years but im also unsure if its now time to upgrade to an onkyo amp to connect my htpc directly over hdmi and I would like to know if this would enable me to get 7.1 out of my system and as I have never heard dts-hd ma im unsure if the difference is that immense that it would be worth the upgrade.

Have you considered adding a seperate soundcard to your htpc? I know very little about computer audio but im sure someone will be along with more advice soon

3. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +920
    Difference between Dolby True HD and DTS HD MA lossless compressed (and PCM native multichannel on early BDs) and DTS/DD lossy compressed is very noticable on a decent system. It all sounds "clearer" and less muddy than Dolby Digital , and the improvement over DTS, whilst less marked, is still discernible.

However the MA78GM-S2H only supports PCM 2.0 or DD/DTS 5.1 bitstreams via HDMI - to get multichannel PCM you either need a new motherboard (nVidia 8200/8300 based for AMD CPUs or nVidia 9300/9400 based for Intel are good bets) OR an ATI 4xxx graphics card (wouldn't bother with the 4350 if you watch SD content - the de-interlacing is poor) which have on-board HDMI 7.1 PCM audio devices.

I upgraded my MA78GM-S2H with a passive Gigabyte 4550 and am very happy - multichannel PCM and much better SD performance than the on-board 3200 stuff.

Both of these solutions currently limit to 48kHz/16 bit though - so higher sampling rate or higher bit depth tracks are downsampled - the only way round this at the moment is to add a Xonar HD 1.3 AV which will bitstream True HD and HD Master Audio over HDMI for the amp to decode - but these are expensive and quite tricky to set-up. (They also currently don't support 24p - though I hear they are now letting you return your board for an upgrade to allow 24p?)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  4. SANDIETEDDY

SANDIETEDDY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for your reply Stephen.

I have been desperately trying to read up on this to find a solution to what affectively is a dead speaker to me.

What I have done is ordered a SPEEDLINK SL-8871-SRD 7.1 PCI Sound Card, I will install the tweaked C-media drivers to allow bitperfect passthrough to my amp (I hope i have said that right) lol. I really have no idea what i just said. lol

I would be very interested if anyone has an opinion on if this will solve my problem of getting DTS ES 6.1 audio signal to my amp therefor bringing my back centre speaker into play again.