Gigabyte 780GHZ - question about temperatures.

messisew86

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Is here any owner of Gigabyte Gtx 780GHZ WINDFORCE or GIGABYTE GTX 780 OC WINDFORCE ? How are your temps on load with default fan settings? I mean my card Gigabyte Gtx 780GHZ is getting 78-80C on all games and benchmarks. Is that normal? Fan are like 66% like 3000 RPM. Boost is 1176mhz.
What are your temps on stock auto fan settings 66%?

Your temps shouldn't be that high on EVERY game, unless you are not using v-sync, in which case you will be getting fps upwards of 300, which is overkill and that is making your card work hard. On the more demanding games (AC4 as an example) i will peak at 80c with everything maxed pretty easily, otherwise using vsync on other games i will hover around 60-70c.

As aslird says if you have those temps on EVERY game then something is up. With less demanding games my WF 780 will downclock and in some cases it'll sit around 40-50c. 60-70c is probably the norm though.

More demanding games and benchmarks will see my card hover around the low to mid 70s, but I use a basic custom fan curve (30% fan speed up to 30c, then add +1% fan speed for each +1c increase in temp - pic attached). 78-80c on 66% fan speed at your clocks sounds about right and well within safe limits.

The only thing to keep in mind is that 780's start to throttle when they hit 80c (limits max boost clock) so better to keep under 80 if you can.

Attachments

• fan profile.png
    fan profile.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all. Is here any owner of Gigabyte Gtx 780GHZ WINDFORCE or GIGABYTE GTX 780 OC WINDFORCE ? How are your temps on load with default fan settings? I mean my card Gigabyte Gtx 780GHZ is getting 78-80C on all games and benchmarks. Is that normal? Fan are like 66% like 3000 RPM. Boost is 1176mhz.
What are your temps on stock auto fan settings 66%?
I have the GTX780 OC Windforce and will check it next time i get online, i know it can get fairly warm but i realise thats due to me having it in a HTPC case (although i have quite a few fans)

As @aslird says, on some games i have seen peaks of 81-82 degrees (AC4, Batman AO, Splinter cell and Crysis 3 all with high or ultra setting) and have had warnings from speedfan as i set it too alert at 80 degrees.

But generally i don't get anywhere near 80 degrees, with idle around 40-50 and normal desktop use not much higher if any

Using furmark after 15 minutes mine hits 78c but that's really with it being hammered. It does belt some heat out into the case which I'm trying to sort out at the moment

Hey Martin. Can you check your max temp on some games, like Crysis 3 , Metro LL, Tomb Raider or other demanding, and post here screen from GPUZ with max fan speed, max temp and max boost core clock? please

I have the GTX780 OC Windforce and will check it next time i get online, i know it can get fairly warm but i realise thats due to me having it in a HTPC case (although i have quite a few fans)

As @aslird says, on some games i have seen peaks of 81-82 degrees (AC4, Batman AO, Splinter cell and Crysis 3 all with high or ultra setting) and have had warnings from speedfan as i set it too alert at 80 degrees.

But generally i don't get anywhere near 80 degrees, with idle around 40-50 and normal desktop use not much higher if any
Holtehero so your max temps on auto fan and stock settings are max 80C on games? Can you tell me what is your max auto fan speed when getting 80C? ( how much RPM )

Can you check your max temp on Crysis 3 ( or other demanding game ) after some minutes of playing and post here screenshot from GPUZ?
Maax temp and max fan speed from GPUZ after playing Crysis 3 after some minutes ok? And screen. I will be greatful to you very much.

Thx. Cheers:)

Last edited:
Holtehero so your max temps on auto fan and stock settings are max 80C on games? Can you tell me what is your max auto fan speed when getting 80C? ( how much RPM )

Can you check your max temp on Crysis 3 ( or other demanding game ) after some minutes of playing and post here screenshot from GPUZ?
Maax temp and max fan speed from GPUZ after playing Crysis 3 after some minutes ok? And screen.

Thx. Cheers:)
Yes i will take a look, but probably won't be till later in the week

Will GPUZ installed also

Holthero on stock settings card you getting 78-80C on auto fan like me on that Windforce ? On demanding games, like Crysis 3 or other. Did you remember ?

Just ran Metro Last Light on max settings for 20 mins or so. My card (Windforce 780 OC) is running on stock volts and I adjusted the core clock (+103) so that it matches your 1176Mhz boost.

Running with the fan set to auto the max temp I recorded was 77c and the highest fan speed was 62%. Idle temps sit at 32c with an auto fan speed of 17%. Mine is in a Corsair Osidian 750D case so airflow is pretty good.

Yes i will take a look, but probably won't be till later in the week

Will GPUZ installed also
Can you run Crysis 3 or other demanding game and paste me screen with max gpu temp and max fan speed auto after playing 10 minutes? Please please. What is your max fan speed on auto when you get 78C? Can you paste screen here from GPUZ? One request i will be greatful to you very much.

GPU temps will vary depending on how a case is setup and what the case cooling is like. Its almost impossible to compare gpu temps with any accuracy as there are way too many variables which will effect the end result.

GPU temps will vary depending on how a case is setup and what the case cooling is like. Its almost impossible to compare gpu temps with any accuracy as there are way too many variables which will effect the end result.

+1

Boot up some games, enjoy, don't get too hung up on temps :)

As previously mentioned those temps are in the right ballpark (which is all it can be due to a number of variables as Razor says e.g. case, ambient temps) unless you are seeing the same thing in less demanding games too.

I haven't had time to post anything really, not on a more demanding game

But yesterday i played walking dead S2 E2 for two hours and GPUZ said the max temp was 46 degrees

At idle and just on desktop its around 32-35

You can set MSI afterburner to log the temperatures etc and it will save it to a txt file

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom