Gigablue UHD 4K Box

colinstone

Well, I got the Gigablue UHD 4K Box together with a Wifi dongle and a Bluetooth dongle, which apparently had to be with a Broadcom BCM20702 Bluetooth 4.0 Chip according to a German forums. I wanted use a BT loudspeaker to be able to listen to sat radio. And will be fitting a 2TB Seagate Barracuda drive.

Overall, an exteremely capable and tweakable box. But it is not simple to get to grips with and understand all the variations, even in what to use for a programme guide. No doubt is one has had a long time with a pure Linux both, it is easier. But coming from Freesat Humax/Arris boxes it is a steep learning curve.

Documentation is not very good and one has to do a lot of trawling around the world wide wait to get all the info. It is often buried in a multipage forum thread which is not easy to find. Mrs S commented "how the hell am I going to find that". I'm hoping that once setup properly, she will have no problem using the box, using the EPG and setting timers and autotimers (series record).
For example the Gigablue manual does have tech specs, but not the OS. The OpenVix manual has the software info but not the box hardware. So one needs both manuals at least.

WLAN setup is another case in point. I would have thought that most people are pretty comfortable with network and password to connect a tablet and indeed the Freesat box. But on OpenVix one is straight into DHCP etc.

Interestingly, the Bluetooth was very easy to do.

The small 3" screen on the box is excellent - good enough to set epg etc.

And a sensible LED that indicates what is going on - On, Recording and Standby.

Monster900

Your experience sounds similar to mine with a Tiviar Alpha+ box, with OpenVix, that I bought a couple of years ago (Previous thread here). It is a lot to learn, and I'm still learning.

The EPG download on mine is scheduled for 05:00 in the morning and this occasionally crashes the box requiring a power cycle, but overall I'm still pretty pleased with it. It has now become the main TV box in the house even though the Foxsat HDR is still going strong.

At the time of posting my original thread, I didn't really understand JonMace's comment about installing Kodi. This week I installed Kodi on the computer in the garage and he is absolutely right. I now have satellite TV, from the Tiviar box, available on this computer for when I'm working on the motorbikes. That's in addition to the music and videos when using Kodi in it's media server function.

These Enigma2 boxes are astounding bits of kit, in some cases for not a lot of money. I paid £99 plus p+p for mine and it still feels like a bargain.

colinstone

Yes a steep learning curve.
And rather annoyingly the Freesat ABM doesn't include the radio channels. Seems a bit of a misnomer.

HeadBanger

I suggest getting the EPG and timer settings working as you want first and then go through the other settings. I then just pretty much went through all of the Other settings one by one - most are fairly intuitive.

Try installing CrossEPG - this definitely has the radio channels too plus populates C4 HD (remember to actually select a provider in the CrossEPG settings). Setting your favourites bouquet is much easier via the web interface and you can then order them as you want. I have the EPG set not to display all available channel bouquets so it stays on my favourites (so pressing EPG displays my favourites immediately).

HB

colinstone

Agree, settings are reasonably intuitive and I've been trawling through them all.
Think I've set up a long press on the EPG button to refresh the EPG through the button menu. Likewise long press on power goes to Deep Standby.
I installed CrossEPG but only found radio as a bouquet, not as EPG shows TV schedule.

> Setting your favourites bouquet is much easier via the web interface and you can then order them as you want.

Lost me!!

Monster900

> Setting your favourites bouquet is much easier via the web interface and you can then order them as you want.

Lost me!!
Enigma2 has a built in web server called 'OpenWebif'. If you type in the box's IP address into the address bar of a web browser on a computer on the same network it should appear.

HeadBanger

I installed CrossEPG but only found radio as a bouquet, not as EPG shows TV schedule.
You need to switch to Radio mode via the remote - EPG for radio will then appear just as it does for TV. I’ve set up a radio favourites bouquet and ordered them as I want as well.

HB