• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Gigabit Switch

Synchro

Distinguished Member
Anyone using one for their network? Don't see the point in replacing my 10/100 cable router. I am thinking of just adding a Gigabit switch behnd it.
This one seems ok for me.

Netgear GS105

mac_monkey

I use this one with my 10/100 router and I've seen a definite improvement. I'm actually going to get another one in the next couple of weeks.

mac_monkey

At the moment the following need network connectivity:

1. Workstation
  2. HTPC
  3. Server
  4. Toshiba HD-E1
  5. Xbox 360
  6. Apple Power Book (Normally wireless but hard wired for large file transfers)

The problem is I've only got one ethernet port upstairs and I'm soon to add a dedicated media server and Xbox up there.

Synchro

Distinguished Member
I haven't had a stand-alone DVD player for ages. Do most of them (inc HD-DVD, BR) have a need for networ connectivity? I guess its for Firmware upgrades etc?

mac_monkey

Quite a few DVD players have an ethernet port for firmware updates and some will even allow you to stream media from networked PCs (KISS springs to mind). The ethernet port in HD-DVD players allows the disk/machine to get content from the studio. I'm not to sure on the details as I havent got a disk that uses this feature (I'm pretty sure 300 & Blood diamond do something clever).

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom