Gigabit router

Discussion in 'Virgin Media Broadband' started by jaymz, Jan 22, 2008.

1. jaymz

jaymz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I have an aging Dlink 614+ router with 22Mbps wireless connection. As i now moving large amounts of data around my house, i want to upgrade to a Gigabit LAN but keep wireless access for the odd occasion i bring my work laptop home or connect my HTC Kaiser.

I have found these;

Belkin N1 Vision - looks pretty but too expensive
    Dlink DIR-655 - looks ok but still too pricey

Can anybody suggest a Gigabit router with 54G (do not need MIMO or Pre-N) for a Virgin 4Mpbs connection (hopefuly soon to by 10Mpbs)?

2. Bluewolf

Bluewolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I keep saying I'll replace my router shortly, but I've now been saying that for around 18 months. My little Linksys is just so sturdy lol. I'm still running on the WRT54G model, which sports 54mbps wireless. Granted I upgraded the firmware, but all in all I've never had any problems with it, and fully wired I got a solid 1.2mbps download speed on a 10 meg service. No fluctuating once it had crept up to the 1.2 - there it stayed. On wireless, depending on my source of download, I can stream anywhere between 9 meg and 4 meg (torrents and/or busy sites mostly this low).

Not sure if it's exactly what you'd be lookin' for, but I've sworn by it now for 4yrs.

3. [DR]r1ch

[DR]r1ch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    D-Link DGL-4300

Fantastic Gigabit Cable Router. Got this paired with a Virgin Media 20Meg connection.

You even get prioritisation rules so that you can make sure specific traffic gets priority over others (i.e P2P lowest, Gaming highest or w/e).

There is the new DGL-4500, but that's got the Draft-N which you've said isn't all that important.

I'm a long time browser, but I eventually signed up to give this recommendation - that's how much I like this router :thumbsup:

4. jaymz

jaymz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Does it offer wired Gigabit ports?

5. jaymz

jaymz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60

Just done a quick bit of research and the DGL-4500 is not going to be released in the UK, this is confirmed by Dlink UK CS.

On with my search..................