Gigabit home network only getting 100mbps

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by zaphoduk, Jun 8, 2015.

1. zaphoduk

zaphoduk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Downstairs i have a TP-Link TL-SG108E 8-Port Gigabit Easy Smart Switch connected up to my MacMini, TiVo and various games consoles. I have a cat 5 cable going from the TL-SG108E upstairs into a wired network socket in my home office. This socket is connected to an ASUS RT-AC68U router which in turn connects to my Virgin Superhub modem.

I have two problems with this setup.

1. If i plug my MacBook directly into the TL-SG108E and run iPerf on the MacBook and the MacMini i am getting 1000mbps. However, if i plug the MacBook into the RT-AC68U with the MacMini still in the TL-SG108E and run iPerf, i'm only getting 100mbps. So for some reason i'm not getting a Gigabit connection between the Switch and the Router. Could the cable running upstairs be at fault? Could the wall socket in the office be wired wrong?

2. My PC, plugged into the RT-AC68U gets around 158mbps internet connection on SPEEDTEST.NET, which fits with me having 150 meg fibre optic broadband. However, my iMac plugged in to the RT-AC68U onlt gets around 75mbps internet connection on SPEEDTEST.NET, despite the network properties showing it has a gigabit connection. I've tried using the same cable that the PC was using but still not getting full speed.

I'm just wondering if there's an easy way to troubleshoot this which doesn't involve me having to buy cable testers or re-wire the whole house?

Cheers
    Craig

2. lostuser

lostuser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If it really is a CAT5 cable that you're using then that will be the problem. You need to replace it with a CAT5e or CAT6 cable for gigabit speeds. Does it actually just say CAT5 on the cable itself.

It could also be that they didn't punch down all 8 wires in the ethernet socket on the wall. 4 wires would be enough for 100Mbit but not 1000Mbit (gigabit). Just unscrew the socket and have a look

3. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,754
    You could test whether you're uplink cable is culpable by repeating the test using an alternate "known good" cable. Physically take your switch up to your router, patch switch to router using the same ports as you "permanent" uplink using a known-good patchcord and repeat your tests. If it achieves GBit, then you can suspect your permanent uplink cable/sockets/etc. If it makes no difference, then that tends to disprove the permanent uplink as culpable.