Gifted a NAIM NNP001 / NAP-200

sparkymarky

Prominent Member
Reaction score
So i've been given a NAIM NNP001.

Upon inspection, it has been 'upgraded' to an analogue 2 channel power amp (everything digital ripped out, no connections now except a din to x2 rca input cable)
I know this is a popular thing to do these NNP01's and they essentially become a Naim NAP-200.

Recommendations for a pre-amp source please?

Criteria: Streaming (spotify) from phone/tablet. Happy to use something like DTSplay if its reliable.
Decent/Good inbuilt DAC
Cheap - under £100 pref, happy to do second hand if a modern unit.
My nnp01/ NAP 200 has no volume control now so that needs to be considered?

Likes: I had intended on buying an Arcam sa20 at some point as i LOVE the sound but now i have been given this so will make use of this instead.

Thinking something like a Teufel connector 2? (£85 second hand)
Arcam Rplay (probably more money £200 or so but if it would give me that 'arcam' sound by using an arcam dac then may go for it?)
Audiolab 6000n but again probably around £200
Chromecast audio obviously but think i want to be able to have the option to connect into the device a cd player or a hard drive, possibly.

Future expansion: Will be doing music piped to all rooms at some point using in ceiling speakers so if something i buy good help towards that aim then great.
But not vital at this stage.

Anything else i should consider and your thoughts?

2. How does the Naim sound compared to Arcam (eg sa20) in general? Will be powering a pair of
B&W dm602 s3's.

Thanks for any info and suggestions! :)

Last edited:
Reviews for the Arcam RPlay and Audiolab 6000n are very hit and miss - due to DTS PlayFi being rated as awful by some great by others.

Teufal connector is nice, I have two of them, but you might want for more digital inputs later. I'd look at the Yamaha wxc-50

Thanks for the replies.

I've just twigged. I have a denon avr x3600h. it has 9.1 amp channels but 11.1 of processing channels. I am using 9.1 of the channels in my lounge. But if i use the pre outs for zone 2 (as i have 2 processing spare) i can use an rca into my music room and connect to the Naim amp....

This way i get to use all the features (streaming/Spotify built in etc) piped into my Naim, right?

The manual says zone 2 can be controlled (volume, source, etc) using the remote all from zone 2. Unsure how it does this but i can use the denon avr app and spotify app on my phone through wifi to control anyway.

Win win?

Last edited:
So i've been given a NAIM NNP001.

Upon inspection, it has been 'upgraded' to an analogue 2 channel power amp (everything digital ripped out, no connections now except a din to x2 rca input cable)
I know this is a popular thing to do these NNP01's and they essentially become a Naim NAP-200.

Recommendations for a pre-amp source please?

Criteria: Streaming (spotify) from phone/tablet. Happy to use something like DTSplay if its reliable.
Decent/Good inbuilt DAC
Cheap - under £100 pref, happy to do second hand if a modern unit.
My nnp01/ NAP 200 has no volume control now so that needs to be considered?

Likes: I had intended on buying an Arcam sa20 at some point as i LOVE the sound but now i have been given this so will make use of this instead.

Thinking something like a Teufel connector 2? (£85 second hand)
Arcam Rplay (probably more money £200 or so but if it would give me that 'arcam' sound by using an arcam dac then may go for it?)
Audiolab 6000n but again probably around £200
Chromecast audio obviously but think i want to be able to have the option to connect into the device a cd player or a hard drive, possibly.

Future expansion: Will be doing music piped to all rooms at some point using in ceiling speakers so if something i buy good help towards that aim then great.
But not vital at this stage.

Anything else i should consider and your thoughts?

2. How does the Naim sound compared to Arcam (eg sa20) in general? Will be powering a pair of
B&W dm602 s3's.

Thanks for any info and suggestions! :)

I’m about to put my Arcam rDac (with clock modification) in the classifieds soon if your interested. This plus a CCA would work well.

I’m running it with a NAIM Supernait 3 + B&W CM6 S2’s and it sounds superb.

I’ve only just got my Supernait 3 and the NAIM sound is like no other, but then again it should be for the price.

HI thanks for the offer, I was tempted. I think i'm going to use my denon avr-x3600h as a preamp and streamer for the Naim though- the dac is supposed to be really pretty transparent in it for an AVR according to ASR detailed testing and has excellent SINAD results - 97db (!).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom