Ghosts

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Razor, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    Did anyone watch the 2 hour program on tv about the Chinese immigrants who died cockle picking?

A great program which showed one persons story of how and why they came to Britain to seek a better life for their family and themselves. But its never what they think its going to be. The average wage in a village in China is only £30 per month. The price ticket to be smuggled into the UK is $25,000 and the journey takes about 6 months by road and seas locked in a small box. They think that they will be able to work off the payments in 2 years or less. They don't realise how expensive it is to live here and how hard it really is if your a skill less illegal.

A very sad tale of people just trying to survive.

2. bluevortex

bluevortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Yes i watched it. It was very tragic indeed. In particular the way they were treated by locals on the beach. I will never buy cockles again :thumbsdow Scum. This is what lead them to cockling at night time and the tragic end they faced. Its repeated on More 4, well worth a watch if you missed it.

Blue

3. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    Only 1 person has seen this. Thats a shame.

It was very tragic what happened to these people. I can sort of understand the fishermans attitude as they have been brought up in that area and depend on the cockles for a living. I dont think they make fortunes and saw the chinese imigrants or anyone on their so called patch as a threat to their income.

The price to come over here was riddiculas and I felt for the people being conned like this. All they want to do is work for a better life and everyone has a right to that. They obviously they didnt realise how expensve it is to live in the UK and that they would never achive their goal. A very sad tale for those poor decent people who took the plunge for a better life. :(

4. Metalhead Pete

Metalhead Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +244
    Thought it was extremely well made.A very sad tale told without being overly dramatic.

5. bluevortex

bluevortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Im sure that is how they felt but come on cockling in the open ocean - surely anyone has a right to do this? I remember when i was a kid i used to go and dig lug worm on low tide for fishing. There were always local people digging to sell bait to local fishing stores. What right would they have to bully and harrass me in this way? None. I guess what it boils down to is i could never treat another human being in that way no matter how i felt towards them. Just a bunch of pikey thugs.

Good watch

Blue

6. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503

Agreed no one has any rights to the open sea. I dont agree with what they did in fact it is very wrong. Just trying to see both sides. I think they wouldnt of minded them being there but from what i could make out they were cockling at the best parts which I suppose was the fav of the locals. People get very territorial and jealous when stuff like this happen. Its very wrong but human nature unfortunatly. Treating humble people like that is low and like you I would never treat any living being like that.

Fantastic story and I hope people abroad get to see it and how hard it can be. Those poor Chinese people were conned with images of a perfect life in the UK. Who can blame them for wanting more and a better life. Most seemed sorry that they came over to the UK.

7. bluevortex

bluevortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80

I would be intrested to see how the 'local' cockle pickers react other british people coming onto their turf? Did they treat them like that because they knew they we immigrants?

8. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    I hope race wasnt a factor here. How knows? :confused:

9. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I saw it too.

It made me remember how lucky I am, and how I sometimes take things for granted.

6 months in the back of a van, or even a closed box, to get to the UK for a supposed "better" life.
    And to then have to work in a factory for 12 hours a day to earn enough to live in what was basically a squat, on just a cramped mattress......

The individuals who convince these people that there are riches waiting for them in the UK are scum.

I also read somewhere that the families of the people that died still owe money to the moneylenders involved, and that the UK Government are refusing to help them.

Ian.

10. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503

The travel was a joke. How could anyone stand that for 6 months. It must of been hell for them. I couldnt help thinking they would of been better off flying in and then dispearing or at least flying to Europe. $25,000 is just plain robbery especially as they have to buy papers on the other side.

It does make you grateful for everything we have got. We do take alot for granted. One reason why I really liked this program/film.

As for the UK paying their debts. I personally dont think the UK should pay these debts as it encourages more to make the move and end up getting exploited and being put through missery. Maybe the Chinese government should do more to stop this trade and to help victims like these poor people. Something needs to be done about it, its inhumane and wrong. Unfortunately in some countries the value of human life is very low.

11. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Hey Razor - long time no see!

Any idea if this was being repeated?

12. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
  13. bluevortex

bluevortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80

I agree, that day i was moaning about how **** my job is. Watched this later that night and it really made me selfish and spoiled. We don't appreciate what we have and privaliged our lifestyle can be. It was a wake up call for me.
    Blue

14. amgard

amgard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Heads Up
    This is being shown again 22:00 Thursday 13th Sept on Channel 4

15. soundstory

soundstory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Am I right in saying that the Documentary maker Nick Broomfield directed it?

16. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503