Ghosts

VLF.

Infrasonic waves could be the explanation for ghostly apparitions.......

In 1998 Vic Tandy, a lecturer at Coventry University, discovered that the haunting of a laboratory was not caused by a ghost with a passion for science, but by a 19 Hertz infrasound wave created by an extractor fan…

A ‘spook' had been seen in the laboratory… But it seems that that the infrasonic waves in the room may have been responsible by making people's eyeballs vibrate, causing blurring of their vision and hallucinations at the edges of their visual field. Since exorcising the ghost in the laboratory, Vic Tandy has gone on to discover that infrasound waves were also the cause of the supposed hauntings of a 14th century cellar in Coventry.

At the age of ten I found myself running down the stairs, as I got to the last few steps I saw what at the time I could only describe as a white figure moving through the left wall of the staircase to right side. I froze for a few seconds, then mustard the courage to complete walking down the staircase.
For years I tried searching for a logical answer, then one day it hit me. It was flippin' floater moving across the fluid between my eye's lens and retina.

I don't believe I ghosts as such, but the house we live in dates back to just before 1900, and we have always joked about stuff happening, just things not where we left them but always thought it was just us not paying attention when we put things down, which I'm sure is all it was.

But one morning about a month ago I got up, around 530am everyone else was asleep. I was getting dressed on the landing and in our front room, (our house is split into 2 flats hence front room near bedroom) there is the toy box for my son, whilst putting my socks on one of they started playing its song like a button had been pressed, then it stopped, 10 seconds later it did it again, I was spooked and the hair on the back of my neck stood up. I looked around the door and put the light on and I saw..... Nothing obviously.

Carried on getting dressed and went downstairs, whilst putting my boots on it started again. It woke the mrs up and she went into the front room but again nothing to see, she turned the actual power switch off and it stopped then.

Now I'm not suggesting anything here but it did make me feel spoked. I thought it might be a button stuck on the toy or it being pressed by another toy laying on the button but it didn't do it till I got up and it stopped when I went knot the room and didn't start again untill I was downstairs.

I'm sure people will think this is a wind up or lie, but I would quite happy swear that this is 100% true, but again I'm not saying it was a ghost either, just something I can't explain.

It like UFOs dont beleive in them until i see it for my own eys.

Si

There's an interesting book called Supersense by Bruce Hood
He delivered the 2011 Christmas lecture to the Royal Society
Is that the lecture series for young people?
I do hope that the rest of the details, about who he is and what he says, were the spoof that they seem to be.:D

Carried on getting dressed and went downstairs, whilst putting my boots on it started again. It woke the mrs up and she went into the front room but again nothing to see, she turned the actual power switch off and it stopped then.

Bloody Chinese electronics mate :D

I find people who believe in ghosts almost as annoying as those who claim to have seen one, what say you?

I find statements like that almost as annoying as those who believe in ghosts.

That statement is so assertive, so certain, so closed minded, as if the person making the statement knows everything there is to know and there is nothing outside of their personal experience that can possibly be unexplained, or worthy of investigation.

Probably, the term "ghosts" is the problem.

How about "unexplained phenomena"?

90% may well be down to the human mind, but there may be something going on we don't understand and would benefit from researching properly.

To dismiss it all as a ridiculous annoyance is bizarre and backward.

Just my view.

To dismiss it all as a ridiculous annoyance is bizarre and backward.

I'd say it's actually rather scientific to go with the view that it's very unlikely...

Ghosts, like flying saucers or whatever are so much more likely to be down to irrational characteristics of the human mind than the alternative.

Sure we can't say for 100% certain, but there are some people who say they have certainly seen a ghost, other that say they can communicate with spirits etc... it's ridiculous and a great way for them to make money or get attention, the others have just managed to convince themselves that what they saw was a ghost - this is purely because of people talking about ghosts and the whole idea/concept being in your mind. You are likely to attribute it to something if you have no other explanation.

I'd say it's actually rather scientific to go with the view that it's very unlikely...

Ghosts, like flying saucers or whatever are so much more likely to be down to irrational characteristics of the human mind than the alternative.

Sure we can't say for 100% certain, but there are some people who say they have certainly seen a ghost, other that say they can communicate with spirits etc... it's ridiculous and a great way for them to make money or get attention, the others have just managed to convince themselves that what they saw was a ghost - this is purely because of people talking about ghosts and the whole idea/concept being in your mind. You are likely to attribute it to something if you have no other explanation.

With respect, You're missing my point, because I didn't make it clearly.

There are absolute charlatons - yes.
There are deluded people - yes.
There are people who like to scare themselves - yes.
There are people who tell their children fairy stories - yes.

Totally agree.

However, I and others I know have had unexplained experiences.

For some "scientist" to tell me I am just one of the above is insulting.

But, it actually tells me they are a bad scientist. I want science to investigate what is actually going on in those case that can't be simply dismissed.

Aah, it's all nonsense will not do.

With respect, You're missing my point, because I didn't make it clearly.

There are absolute charlatons - yes.
There are deluded people - yes.
There are people who like to scare themselves - yes.
There are people who tell their children fairy stories - yes.

Totally agree.

But, it actually tells me they are a bad scientist. I want science to investigate what is actually going on in those case that can't be simply dismissed.

Aah, it's all nonsense will not do.

Did you see Dawkins respond to a "delusional" religious person?

All fantasies tarred with the same brush.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree entirely, the opening statement was merely the point for debate.

Yes I'm well aware of that. Dawkins. Hitchens et. al. and I agree.

However, this has nothing to do with religion.

It's about unexplained phenomena.

I don't believe in god or ghosts. I do believe in science.

When I feel that science is using spurious arguments to avoid investigating certain "dodgy" areas, then science is letting me down and that needs to be highlighted.

In my view.

Explain those experiences please. If you can explain them, then they are true miracles. If you cannot then it's just an reason to further your self belief in your faith.

What on earth are you talking about?

What are these experiences? For example talking to work collegue, heard about a person who survived a car crash because they picked up something from car floor, and just as they did a tree fell ontop of the car. The other person who was sitting upright died.

If that person who survived was a man of faith he would put that down as god watching over him.

It was just he just happened to drop the lighter at that time, nothing more.

Oh, you mean coincidence.

Or perhaps the human response to the physical world - Le mans 1955 for example.

No, I don't mean anything like that.

Personally I haven't seen one with my own eyes and through my own experiences, so how can I possibly believe in them?

What are we also to make of Mediums then? These people who believe they can communicate with the dead?

I haven't seen the USA with my own eyes either. Maybe it doesn't really exist.

Berties

You know I think you're a buffoon and a troll. I've told you directly.

I still think that. I won't be responding further.

Where? Typical going down the same path, I ask, you can't give anything and then insult.

Reminds me of structure of a cobol programme tbh

VLF.

Infrasonic waves could be the explanation for ghostly apparitions.......

In 1998 Vic Tandy, a lecturer at Coventry University, discovered that the haunting of a laboratory was not caused by a ghost with a passion for science, but by a 19 Hertz infrasound wave created by an extractor fan…

A ‘spook’ had been seen in the laboratory… But it seems that that the infrasonic waves in the room may have been responsible by making people’s eyeballs vibrate, causing blurring of their vision and hallucinations at the edges of their visual field. Since exorcising the ghost in the laboratory, Vic Tandy has gone on to discover that infrasound waves were also the cause of the supposed hauntings of a 14th century cellar in Coventry.

There are plenty of us on this forum that have subwoofers that are well capable of playing 19hz and under. I have read this before, but I can't say that my subwoofers have ever caused any strange effects, to me anyway. Interesting though. Maybe my neighbours get freaked out and don't know why.

Subwoofer VLF's are likely to be short in duration and varied in amplitude, unlike a fan constantly rotating at the same speed and which could set up sympathetic or resonant responses in human tissue.

Now we're talking!

External influences on the human structure, whether neurons, cells, electro magnetic activity or whatever.

A rich source of investigation indeed.

I'm sure there are also many other areas of potential exploration.

Nobody has called you any of what you listed. All I am saying is that given what we know, ghosts are very unlikely to exist how we are to believe.

I don't understand what you expect science to do?

Unless someone can give solid evidence for ghosts existing there's not much that can be done... I mean ghosts seem to choose when they follow the laws of physics, first they're able to move things but then are able to walk/float through walls?

The usual stories never add up, I've never heard a story that has for one moment made me think "you know what, maybe there's something odd going on here". I've had friends with stories and while I believe what they say, I am convinced there is a logical and rational explanation that does not involve the supernatural.

Apologies if you feel my post was offensive, it was not aimed to be and I'm not saying or implying you are anything you listed, not at all :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom