1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ghosts when using RGB Scart on 17" LG?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by DragonQ, Jun 11, 2005.

1. DragonQ

DragonQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Widescreen 17" LG TV (which according to the LG website, doesn't exist :p). When I plug my Gamecube directly into the SCART Socket using an RGB Scart Cable, the picture has ghosts and also artifacts simlar to those you get when using Anagolue R/F Cables.

The ghosts are quite noticable and are not "smearing" ghosts which are accociated with LCD Screens, but the type you get when watching TV through a poor aerial. The artifacts look like many small fuzzy diagonal lines going up and down the screen. It is obviously most noticable on a white/yellow background.

As I said, this is an expected picture when using a R/F Cable, but when using RGB Scart it shouldn't happen surely? When using the same cable plugged into my 5 year old 14"CRT TV, I get a perfect picture!

Is there any way I can fix this? Or is the Scart Socket damaged or incorrectly shielded or something?

Thanks for any advise. :)

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Very odd. I know there are some strange things that can happen with RGB SCART pictures that can be fixed by opening up the cable and performing strange soldering on it. I know that's not really any help!

What's the ghosting like? The colours are incorrectly aligned?

3. DragonQ

DragonQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, just there is a slight ghost to the direct right of every pixel. For example, the letter 'A' will have a ghost on the '\' part.

I'm pretty sure it's either the TV or Scart Socket because the GC RGB Cable works on other TVs fine, and when the Sky Box is plugged into this suspect TV, the picture isn't great from that either.

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I had problems with RGB video on a recent LCD TV that I just sent back. What you're describing sounds pretty normal I have to say - or is it THAT bad? Could you take a picture?

5. DragonQ

DragonQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's definately not normal. On 3 other TVs I have (CRT), the picture is crystal clear. Obviously, it flickers a bit and it's PERFECT since it's analogue and interlaced, BUT what I'm talking about looks worse than an R/F Picture, which defiantely isn't normal for a RGB Connection.

I may be able to take a picture later today or tomorrow for y'all.

6. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    It might be normal for your set. Remember an LCD has to digitize the picture. If it's doing a lousy job of that, it could well be leading to what you're describing.

7. DragonQ

DragonQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, here's some comparison shots:

One of my 14" CRTs (not the best out of all of them, but decent): www.dragonq.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/CRT.JPG

This is the picture on the LCD: www.dragonq.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/LCD.JPG

As you can see, the LCD Picture is very blury and ghosts are visible. The various diagonal lines can also be seen.
    The CRT Picture is much better (although some ghosting is also apparent - but this was run through a digibox, so the quality is degraded slightly).

Does this help in solving why the LCD Picture is worse?

8. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I don't have Crazy Taxi on the GameCube (on the Dreamcast though) so I can't really check that out for you. The ghosting you describe though is False Contouring. Basically, the picture is being oversharpened which is leading to the odd-looking glow. If you could get into the Service Menu, that could maybe be fixed. I assume you're already running it with the Sharpness turned down low to try and minimize this?

I actually returned a 32" Samsung because of this little 'feature'
    < http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1729237&postcount=444 >

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    What you're seeing is called "ringing". Can be caused by poor cable termination (design fault), but also can be caused by having the picture sharpness set too high (as stated by previous poster).

10. DragonQ

DragonQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't touched the settings, but I shall have a look in a minute and check the sharpness. Thanks for the advise.

11. DragonQ

DragonQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the sharpness was on about 65. Reducing it to 20 helps with the ghosts slightly, but the fuzzy lines remain.

Is it just a faulty TV or Scart Connection or are there further things I can try?

12. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Are the fuzzy lines over everything? Do they jump around, or are they static?

13. DragonQ

DragonQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They jump around. A bit like a less extreme version of "white noise" but in different colours.

14. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Well, when I first got my LCD my opinions of RGB SCART changed a lot. I'd never noticed small amounts of picture noise on the image before because my tube-based set had been hiding it - it could just be normal. Some TVs do a better job of suppressing noise than others.

Still though, that does sound a bit unusual... have you tried a DVD player or digital TV decoder running over the same socket?

15. DragonQ

DragonQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, and it's the same. Looks like an analogue picture (i.e. quality-wise).

16. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    There's nothing you can do about it then, except for buying a new TV.

Also, RGB over SCART is an analogue picture although I think that's what you meant.

17. DragonQ

DragonQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, sorry I meant like a crappy analogue broadcast through an R/F Cable.

Oh well, thanks for the help anyway people.

18. dibs65

dibs65
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which LG model do you have. I have the KZ-17LZ21 with built in dvd only had it 3 weeks and had to take it back yesterday (shop refused refund as I didnt have box). After a lot of arguing and call to Trading standards they agreed to give me a replacement.

The main problem was with DVD & Xbox on svideo connection. Seemed to be lot of banding on the screen sometimes making it impossible to watch. Also headphone socket kept up a constant buzzing.

The new one does seem fine although havent tested xbox yet, but headphone problem still there. Which connection would you recoomend for xbox scart or svideo.

Other thing I did notice when I found the service menu was that everything showed at 50hz on old & new can this be changed?

Ian