1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ghosting on Sky Digital

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Bake, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Bake

Bake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony 28FX65 TV and have connected Sky Digital to the RGB scart input. I have a reasonable cable (Lektropaks home cinema) and have set the Pace digibox to RGB output. The problem is that there is noticeable ghosting - this is particularly disagreeable when watching football as all the players look like their soul is leaving their bodies. DVD playback seems fine

Can I do something to correct this? The Sky marketing bumpf says that digital is pin sharp and eliminates ghosting etc - have I been sold a pup?

2. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is no ghosting on Digital TV in the same way that analogue used to suffer when reflections from high buildings etc could cause multiple images so the Sky material is correct.

However if you have 'double images', then we need to trace to the cause.

You say DVD picture is OK, so that means it's not the TV.

That leaves, the leads, the DigiBox or the settings.

Try changing the SCART leads over to see if the fault is still there.

Make sure the TV is not leaking some RF into the SCART leads by making sure it's on an 'AV' or 'External In' setting.

Also I would switch off any picture enhancing effects from the TV menu as they can sometimes make the picture worse!

Best of luck and let us know how you get on...

3. Glenn Keen

Glenn Keen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This may be because the Sky channel is compressed to save space. It is very noticable on sports programs. There appears to be a strange halo/pixely image around the players.

The better the quality of your TV the more this shows up, especially on digital tv's. On my Plasma it really shows up :(

Try watching the football on ITV this week through your arial, not Sky and you may well find it looks a lot better!

Don't know the technical term for this effect but it is well known.

Hope this might help.

4. Bake

Bake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help guys. I checked the things Jim suggested with limited success (but thanks anyway!), but I did notice that the TV power and the scart cables were wrapped around each other - doh. By separating them, the picture improved noticeably but the problem did not totally disappear. Looks like Glenn has the final word on this which means I have to either get used to it or sit further away.

The problem with terrestrial is that the picture is only 4:3, so the trade off is larger picture v quality. Also, it seems madness that the RF solution gives better quality than digital and RGB. As usual there is a difference between reality and what the marketing men tell you:mad:

5. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you got some kind of improvement - if not a solution.

Not wrapping mains cables around SCART leads is highly recommended in all cases!

Interested in Glenn's compression idea as to be honest, I don't watch much football on TV.

Are any of the other channels showing the same effect?

That might give us a clue...

6. Bake

Bake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get the problem on all channels on the digibox, even the menus. It is with football that it is most noticeable - the bright player colours contrasting with a freshly watered and very green pitch. It can make it really hard to identify who the players are.

The problem is better now, but not gone. There is no problem with a DVD player using the same scart in the the same TV input. Hence it must be the box or the signal.

I'll check it using the digibox games tonight - that may narrow it down further

Thx