Ghosting on new Toshiba 50" RP

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by gedclink, Nov 22, 2001.

1. gedclink

gedclink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D Toshiba 50Wh18b.

Generally really happy with this tv but am unsure as to whether the signal or telly is to blame with several problem..

1) Fast moving objects such as action movies etc leave a ghost image for a split second...I was watching stargate last night on sky 1 and it appeared that there were around 2 or 3 images on screen as some daft actor did a commando roll on screen..
    I've tried playing with the 100 HZ scan and Digital Noise Reduction but it doesn't appear to change anything.

2) Once again ( on telewest digital cable ), if I turn up the contrast or brightness the picture looks goddamn awful..
    LOTS of shimmery white lines all over the darker scenes..Almost looks like interference from the mains but I've switched all other things off? The only way I've found is to keep the contrast and brightness well down at around 35 - 40 ( 0 - 100 )

3) Not hugely problematic but areas of brightness or large expanses of white tend to " bloom " into the darker areas.

Still to really check this out on DVD..

Although the telewest input is digital, could it still be the main contributor to the above problems..

2. Kirthen

Kirthen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused: I am sorry to hear of your Tosh problems, I expect its Telewest. But you will only know when the DVD is connected.

I replaced my Grundig 37" CRT with the 50WH18 about a month ago. The picture quality has been perfect and I mean perfect - as long as the source material is up to it ie. DVD fed by component/RGB! Definitely superior to the Grundig.

The quality of Sky Digital has varied from very good to excellent, but again rubbish in, rubbish out. Talking of rubbish - terrestrial analogue, just plain grainy - but no worst than when viewed on the big old Grundig.

There is no ghosting, white lines or bloom on any digital input. My settings are Contrast 49, Brightness 55, Colour 50, Sharpness 0.

Lastly, where is your Free Tosh DVD Player (SD-110E) with component outputs - I thought this was a Tosh promotion for all WH18s?

I hope you get it sorted - there is a good tele in there.

Kirthen

3. mseabroo

mseabroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Ged,

I agree with Kirthen it may be hard to nail this down until you have a known good quality reference point.

If you do have a DVD feed available it would be worth getting hold of a copy of DVD Essentials, Avia or similar

Or at least a disk containing the THX optimode set-up utility (Episode 1, fight club both have this, possibly others) that will let you get your user settings into the right ball park.

I certainly noticed an immense improvement in image quality having run through the set-up routines in DVD Essentials.
    Although it took a day or two to get used to the new look, the preset look overly bright and garish now,

As reference my settings are:
    Contrast 24
    Brightness 46
    Colour 56
    Tint 0
    Sharpness -30

Although I suspect that the exact setting will not produce the same results from set to set.

It may also be worth trying your own settings based on the different presets.
    From other posts I’ve read it appears that different features are enabled / disabled outside of user control depending on which preset was selected when making your personal settings.

I have mine based on preset –3 which I believe disables scan velocity modulation.
    :p

4. gedclink

gedclink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D The DVD player should arrive today or tomorrow.
    They were out of stock when the tv was delivered.

I'll let you all know ( hopefully good ) news after the weekend.

Have a nice one.

Regards

Ged

5. gedclink

gedclink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D Once I'd connected up the DVD via component leads the picture was excellent..I've also noticed that the picture quality is dependant upon different channels via telewest..i.e

Sky 1 is pretty rank but Channel 5 is spot on..

Also, anything originally taped in NTSC i.e sopranos on E4 or channel 4 appears to be of a better resolution than " normal "
    PAL recordings.??

Thanks for the help

Cheers

Ged