Ghosting on interconnects

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Turk Father, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Turk Father

Turk Father

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Recently I purchased an Xbox 360 and plugged that straight into my 37wlt58 using component. I have a Yamaha DSP-AX640SE and was using that to share the component port on the TV between my PS2 and a Cambridge Studios DVD player (my old tosh broke :( ).

As I didn’t want to keep swapping plugs and risk damaging something and the switcher unit I'm interested in (the Joytech 360 looking device) isn’t out for a while I bought some cheap 2 to 1 phone plugs, these two.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29192&criteria= PHONO plug 2&doy=17m3

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=44059&criteria= PHONO plug 2&doy=17m3

I’ve tried them both in the back of the TV. The cable one greats ghosting when the Xbox is set to 720P but looks better (not as good as without the cable) in 1080i (is that normal?). If I use the socket adapter it looks fine in 720p but when I connect up the cable from the amp it greats ghosting. Can I use the 640se with the Xbox 350 for HD? (Newer units are rated for HD, this one isn’t?). Am I using those adapters for something there not meant to be? (Again not rated for HD which I've seen lot on devices/cables but I don’t know if this is true or not?).

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,366
    Component cables are designed to work at very high frequencies and as such good ones cost a packet, what you have done is unbalance the component cable which has given you ghosting. Bottom line is YES you are using the adapters for something they where not designed for, THEY ARE AUDIO CABLES and cheap ones at that. Why not connect your XBOX via VGA

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    What you are seeing is called "ringing", not ghosting, and is caused by mis-matched cables. As Andy indicated, the switchers are intended for audio, not video.

4. Turk Father

Turk Father

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks guys, I hoped it wasn’t the case. Incidentally, I connect the DVD player and Xbox 360 to the amp and that part works flawlessly.
    I’m not using the PS2 much at the moment so I've left that unplugged, the Joytech component switcher comes out in the UK on the 1st of May and I will use that.
    The VGA port is in use by my PC at the moment which is why I used the component cables for the 360.

Many thanks again.