1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ghosting on dmr e65

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by fallwood, Jan 1, 2005.

1. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just got my e65 today to backup progs from my tivo and to do a bit of vhs to dvd conversion. Converted a vhs tape to dvd (using svideo inout from svhs player) with no problems and the results were great (much easier that using my all in wonder card). I am having a problem with the feed from my tivo though, i can see a ghosted image of whatever im playing scrolling across to the right , its like when you get 2 channels overlapping and you can see the other channel in the background scrolling past. Seems to be there however i try to input the tivo output (rgb scart or composite) I dont have the tv tuner side tuned to anything as i dont have a tv aerial and rely on sky for everything. Tried different scart leads but no luck. Anyone got any ideas.

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    It sounds like crosstalk and is generally a problem with poorly screened scart leads while different signals are travelling in opposite directions in the lead.
    I've found this to be more of a problem with composite video connections.

If the Tivo is connected to AV2 of the E65 and all is set to RGB I'd be surprised if there's still a problem.

3. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    just been and borrowed an expensive scart lead as the ones i have spare are all fairly standard. Seems to have cured the ghosting but i am still surprised at how much softer and darker the picture is through the drm e65 as opposed to watching the tivo direct. I thought the signal was just "passed through" and shouldnt suffer any quality loss, tivo menus look quite a bit softer and the white text is noticably duller. I have the tivo connected from the vcr out scart into the drm 465, this way i only need 1 scart lead as the e65 sends its output signal back up the same scart and through the tivo to my pj. I have tried connecting directly to the e65 and then on to the pj but the results are the same. Anyone else noticed much difference in picture when viewed through their recorder (not a recording just viewing through passthrough).

4. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Its only direct pass thru when the E65 is in standby, if the E65 is switched on then it will go via the input and output stages.

5. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    The VCR scart from TIVO probably won't have RGB output so you'll be seeing composite video into the E65.
    In addition, DVD replay via the VCR scart will also be composite video.

6. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Tivo is most definately rgb on all scart sockets, easy way to tell is that it says rgb on my pj when its rgb and scart auto when its composite . Tried direct from the sky box into the e65 and the picture is still softer and darker.

7. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Yes I'd forgatten that the VCR scart acts as pass through, so if the E65 AV1 is connected to this, you will indeed get DVD replay in RGB.
    Unfortunately your recordings from Tivo to E65 will have to be from composite video. :(

If you want RGB throughout how about...

Sky "TV" scart to Tivo AUX.
    Tivo "TV" scart to E65 AV2
    E65 AV1 To Television RGB input.

I think you'll find that an improvement. :)