1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ghosting issues with Sony KD-28DX51U

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by maj74, Dec 26, 2004.

1. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi,

Have recently acquired a Sony KD-28DX51U tv's after reading excellent reviews, and certainly liking what I saw in the shop...
    However, having now had it at home for a couple of weeks, I am noticing a lot of ghosting between the tuned channels and the external input.

I don't use the digital tuner in the TV, as I have an ntl cable box. This is attached to the TV via a scart cable running in RGB mode.

The TV also has it's channels tuned via the RF signal output from the NTL box.

This way I can watch a terrestrial channel while recording a cable channel and so on.

However, when I watch anything via the Scart input, there is clear ghosting of whichever terrestrial channel the TV is set to. (i.e. If I am watching BBC1 using channel 1 on the TV, then switch to the scart to watch SKY one, then I get a ghosted BBC 1 picture in the background.)

This is really spoiling what I suspect is an excellent TV...Anyone got any ideas what causes it, and how I can stop it?

Any ideas much appreciated...

2. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, the technical term for what you are suffering is called 'crosstalk'. One signal (the one you want to watch) is being interferred with by the other signal (the one you don't want to watch). The worse the 'crosstalk' the worse the interference. It could be a problem/fault within the tv set but somehow I doubt it. The other cause can be poor quality scart leads (the two signals you have selected are both present within the scart lead even though you are watching only one of them). I suggest you try a better quality SCART lead between the tv and NTL box. Regards, yt.

3. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I thought it might be this too, however I seem to remember that the RF (aerial) signal from the new NTL boxes does not travel through the scart lead to the TV.

Certainly I have an RF cable connected from cable box to DVD recorder and then from DVD recorder to TV. If i try to disconnect the RF cable at any point in that sequence, certainly the ghosting disappears, but the picture from the scart cable picks up a little 'fuzz' (like good old poor reception), so I have to leave the RF cable as well as the scart cable plugged in.

The scart cable from NTL box to dvd recorder is not a particularly decent one, but the scart from Recorder to TV is. I shall try and replace the lower quality one, but I'm not sure it will solve the problem.

Is there anything else it might be?!!

Many thanks

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, your problem is not related to the RF feed (lead) the 'fuzz' you refer to is the tv tuned into a non-existant channel (which is non-existant because you've pulled the rf lead out !). When a tv set is tuned to an rf channel (say ITV) then that signal will be present at the scart plug on the rear of the tv (even if you have an external input selected) and will pass down the scart lead to whatever device is connected to the other end (lets say its a vcr machine). When you want to watch the vcr you select it as an external input to your tv and view the tape. However (and I'm being VERY simplistic here) the itv signal passing down the cable interfers with the vcr signal coming the other way and so you see the output of the VCR with a 'little bit' of itv mixed in with it. Cheaper scart cables tend to accentuate this problem - definitley try a good quality scart lead. Regards, yt.