Ghosting in Progressive modes with LiteOn LVD2001

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pc99, Dec 8, 2003.

1. pc99

pc99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

I have a LiteOn LVD2001 DVD/DivX player, and I've just got a new Sanyo Z2 projector.

However I have a problem and want to narrow it down.

Everything is fine in standard PAL or NTSC fed via component to the projector.

However when I enable any of the progressive or scaled video modes on the player (480p, 720p, or 1080i) I get a ghost image slightly offset to the right.

I'm wondering whether this is the player, the cable or the projector.

My initial feelings are that if it were the cable, the same effect would be apparent on standard component feeds, so I'm hoping it's the DVD player.

Can anyone shed any light on the matter?

Thanks in advance

2. pc99

pc99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Since posting I have found some info on AVS Forum,
    suggesting that it is definitely the DVD player, and is a design problem that doesn't appear to be fixable in firmware.

Looks like I'll have to upgrade again.

3. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    My Compacks DVD5000 has this trait and the cure I found was connecting to both the scart socket and component outs simultanousl to my ae100 projector. Instant cure and generally better picture too.

My theory for this working is either it massively improves earthing or more likely by creating a load on both ports the dvd player can't produce such a strong image internally to either port and basically the problem is the voltage levels inside the player are slightly too high.

Another thing I thought of is in the factories they have a set of connectors that quickly plug into the back all on one board so that connecting to every port is a simple push in. Then they do all their tests on visuals etc. This would hide the fact that individual signals may be too strong when used alone.

You could try connecting both composite and s-video simultanously to your projector from the liteon. You could also try using thin rubbishy phono cables in the hope that the extra resistance and attenuation will reduce the ghosting via composite.

Best of luck.

4. pc99

pc99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That's an interesting idea, but I already have both S-Video and component leads connected. I suppose it won't do any harm to try connecting a composite lead as well.

But I would've thought if this was a connection/electrical issue that the problem would be apparent in the normal interlaced component modes as well.

Still, I'll give it a try and eport back.

5. pc99

pc99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well plugging in composite leads didn't help.

Removing the S-Video lead and leaving just the component out leads connected did brighten the picture considerably (which suggests there is a problem driving multiple outputs) but had no effect on the ghosting.

Looks like I'll have to live with it until such time as a suitable upgrade comes along.

Does anyone out there have a Kiss player to confirm whether the problem occurs with it?

6. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I've got a Kiss DP-450 and I've just had a good check for this. I tried progressive ntsc, progressive pal and interlace pal via component using galaxy quest as the dvd. The scene where the commander stands by the swimming pool after being sent down from the alien craft was the worst for ghosting on the compacks and so used it again here.

I looked really hard and tried various brightness/contrast levels using my ae100 but I couldn't really tell. There may be a very, very faint trace of one there but its so insignificant it doesn't matter and frankly there may not be one there at all. Its certainly not like the Compacks which is completely obvious unless you use both rgb and component simultanously and then it disappears.

Whats the high resolution 720p and 1080i modes like on the Liteon and can you use them for commercial protected dvds?

7. pc99

pc99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for confirming that the Kiss player is ok, I may well consider buying their new slimline DP-1000.

Or I might take the plunge the order one of those Yamakawa ones everyone is talking about at the moment.

The LiteOn picture at 720p 1080i is great apart from the ghosting. I didn't notice it quite so much with my previous projector (a Toshiba MT1) but is extremely annoying on my new Z2.

THe LiteOn plays all discs I've tried in 720p and 1080i, but I've haven't tried that many yet.