1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ghosting from aerial signal when watching DVD?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Hallsy, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    This a problem a friend of mine has, he asked me if I could advise him.
    He has a TV with both a sky box and DVD-R connected.
    The DVD-R has an rf loop through it to the TV, and is also connected to the Tv via scart, and also to the Sky box via scart.
    The Scart obviously has the satelite cable into it then is out on to scart to TV.

He has said that when watching a DVD he can see the signal from the TV aerial (i.e BBC1) ghosting on the screen.
    He has tried switching scart cables, AV inputs, etc. The onyl way he can stop it is by disconnecting the aerial from either the TV or the DVD-R RF loop.
    He said his old DVD player did it also, but he got around it by selecting an unused channel on the TV before selecting AV1 for DVD.

Other than cable problems I wasn't sure on this? Would it be worth trying the method of cutting the connection between two pins on a scart (can't rememebr which)?

I can't see why the aerial signal should interfere when an AV source is selceted? Doesn't ever happen on his sky box.

In the past he has had to use an attenuator on his aerial, is it possible that using one of these again would help?

Other than that, is it just aproblem with isolation between the aerial and scart circuits in the TV?

Also, he thinks that disconnecting the aerial effects picture quality on DVD, the ghosting goes, but he thinks the picture is sharper when the aerial is actually connected???

Any ideas?

2. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Can't anyone help? Have I posted this in the wrong section?

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    My old Toshiba 28" WS TV used to do that. It's poor design of the TV circuitry, or at least it was in the case of my old Toshiba.

4. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Oh dear, that is what I thought, but I don't think he'll be very happy with that!!
    His argument would be what if it happened with a new TV?

5. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Why not connect it up to a portable TV and see if the ghosting is still visible? Then he'd at least know if it's the TV.

Balders.

6. wiz

wiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,892
    yeah you could try another tv. Had a similar problem, a decent quality scart lead sorted it.