1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ghosting/Blocking on Sky digital

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jasonzakrhys, Jan 10, 2005.

1. jasonzakrhys

jasonzakrhys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi i own a Yamaha HDTV 42" plasma connected to Sky Digital through a Scart monster cable(£100).When viewing sky i get alot of ghosting and blocking,what am i doing wrong please help.Many thanks

2. googlybear

googlybear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    welcome to the compression of sky channels. The blocking is due to compression rates hired ny the broadcaster from sky. Some channels are worse than others (notably ITV). The ghosting could be due to your screen needing to run in a little. Most plasmas get this out of the box for around 200 hours use

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Make sure that you don't have the picture sharpness set too high. The pictures on Sky are a little "soft", and people tend to try to compensate for this when using bigger screens, and it only makes the digital artefacts more visible.

4. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Also sounds like an iffy sky signal. A quick visit to the SKY forum might help.
    Have you checked signal strength, cable from dish, dirt on dish etc? Plus recent winds could have moved dish.
    Wouldn't want to disagree, but my Pan42 never showed any blocking/ghosting from day 1.

5. googlybear

googlybear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you are probably right. I was going by the first LG screen i had which was bad quality, really blocky and ghosty until around 200 hours use. I got the screen replaced and the new one is pretty much perfect, still slightly blocky on ITV but everything else is fantastic straight out of the box with no corrections at all

6. jasonzakrhys

jasonzakrhys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for all your help,the signal test is 100% but the signal quality is only 50% is this normal for sky signal???

7. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yep, i get about 75% on signal test and about 60% on quality

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Quality is more important than strength. The quality is actually the inverse error-rate, so at 50% it means that your box is having a lot of decoding errors. You may have a faulty LNB on the dish, or the dish may be out of alignment.

On my Sky+ box I get 80% strength and 80% quality on LNB1 and 70% S and 90% Q on LNB2.