1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ghosting, 360 & latest LCD's.

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Shin Gouki, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Shin Gouki

Shin Gouki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now that we have the latest HD LCD's with their lack of chosting/motion blur, i hate to see that a lot of the 360's games are using a ghosting/motion blur effect to help with the frame rate (Atleast that's what they are saying). Finally we have ghosting/motion blur free LCD's then they actually add the effect to games. what the fudge?

I'm sorry but i hate this effect. It makes my eyes hurt and it feels like i constantly have to strain when looking at the screen. My eyes just can't keep up with the picture at times.

I've just taken this screen shot from the latest HD Call of Duty 2 video http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=5629 .This effects makes the removale of ghositing on the latest LCD sets pretty ****ing pointless does'nt it? They are using the same effect in PGR3 and GoW.

I wanted my new LCD that i plan on getting and my 360 to be free from ghosting. Oh and it does'nt make it alright because the developers of the games have added this effect in. I think it's ridiculous tbh.

I've seen some people say that this effect looks "cool". Well it don't look cool for people who have been waiting for an LCD that's free from this "effect", does it?

Is anyone else concerned about this? I don't want to spend all this money on a top LCD and 360 to see what is basically ghosting, ***.

2. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I think you're worrying over nothing. There's a difference between ghosting on a bad LCD set, and a motion blur effect used intentionally.

From what I've read, they're not adding motion blur to hide poor frame-rate, they're just saying that because motion blur is used the difference between 30fps and 60fps isn't that noticable.

Motion blur adds to the realism because you get it in real life. PGR3 (or any game with fast movement) without motion blur would look pretty sterile and fake.

I'm perfectly happy for the developers to use it, and I don't relate it in any way to the old problems of LCD ghosting. Ghosting took place over the whole screen at all times, these games will use motion blurring when needed to add realism. I'm fine with that.

Relax!

3. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    Plus it relates to depth of field I believe - things far away that are relatively stationary to your eye will be well defined and have no blur, only things passing close to you at high speed will be blurred. It adds to the sense of speed and tricks your brain into thinking things are happening faster than they actually are. Done well, it's a positive, not a negative.

With ghosting, as matt_p says, often the whole screen would blur due to refresh rates not being up to scratch. Now it will only be on fast moving objects close to you.

4. Shin Gouki

Shin Gouki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i'm not happy with it. It does happen with things that are close as opposed to things that are in the distance, but it makes my eyes strain.