Ghostbusters: Afterlife Movie Review & Comments

Mark Costello

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
Going to go see this next week I think. Got the cinema bug back after seeing Dune on Wednesday.

Noticed though that the public rates this highly while the frankly, discredited Rotten Tomatoes has this lower than the 2016 abomination it seeks to banish from history.

Last edited:
I was expecting this to be pretty bad but I'm very encouraged to hear that it's not. Not sure if I'll get to see it at the cinema as I go pretty rarely these days but looking forward to trying it out at home once it is released.

Whoop!!! This is what I want to hear!
Seems the negative critics don’t like the nostalgia…ironically, had this released a year or two ago I bet they would’ve praised that.

The takes on this have such a big swing. It’s either absolute garbage or wonderful. Seeing later this afternoon.

Sounds good, looking forward to it. One thing though: is it in any way jarring that GB2 is ignored? Or have I misread the review? I didn’t think that the second film wasn’t considered canon, so why ignore it completely? Seems a bit strange to me.

Watched this last night, I really enjoyed it. I would give it a 7 as there is quite a bit of room for improvement, but its a film I wanted as a sequel being a massive fan of the first two and growing up with them.

Sounds good, looking forward to it. One thing though: is it in any way jarring that GB2 is ignored? Or have I misread the review? I didn’t think that the second film wasn’t considered canon, so why ignore it completely? Seems a bit strange to me.
No, not at all. I'm being a little obtuse (snigger - for those that have seen the film) to avoid story spoilers, but the narrative is a direct continuation of the plot of the first film. There's just no mention of events in the second film so it doesn't feel like what they've done with say the latest iteration of Halloween where they've actively retconned the second film out of existence.

If you want to know more about what I mean, venture forth into spoiler territory if you dare..........
The film is about the return of Gozer!

Last edited:
Good to see that you got the review sorted nice and early Mark! I was so taken with it,, I was putting together my thoughts at 2am...Anyway, my take -

Ghostbusters (2021)

"New York in the '80s...It's like The Walking Dead."

Having been my most anticipated movie of both 2020 and 2021 (Covid saw it delayed from it's original June 2020 slot), it was a relief somewhat to see this finally land in cinemas, and not be relegated to a streaming platform.

I've a feeling this will have more than it's share of detractors, whether it's bemoaning the loss of it's New York City backdrop, or the over reliance on/ lack of (delete as appropriate) the nostalgia element. As much as I miss the Big Apple being utilised, Reitman Jr makes the right call here using a completely different environment to allow new characters to evolve and a fresh story to unfold. I certainly have no problem with a bit of nostalgia, and having seen the original at cinemas back in '84, it was a utter joy to return to this world all these years later. It's a feeling I've only ever replicated with Blade Runner 2049, Doctor Sleep, Tron Legacy and The Force Awakens - belated sequels I'd never imagined I'd see. There's plenty of callbacks and nods to the original film for those that have seen it many a time, but the majority were tastefully done, a whole lot of fun, and always respected what Ivan Reitman created all those years ago. It's very Amblin like in it's content and tone, but that works in it's favour, and then some.
The SFX were on point throughout, with maybe only a couple of minor shots in an Ecto-1 chase sequence where it could have done with more work. Refreshingly, even with the third act, it never overcooks things to become a huge cgi mess. A lovingly crafted near perfect meld of old school practical effects, and cutting edge new ones.
The set design was impressive too, and I was very taken with how well realised and effective Dirt Farm was in particular.
The new score by Rob Simonsen is never very far removed from the creepy original synth heavy one by Elmer Bernstein, and it's familiarity is a big part of drawing the viewer back into this cinematic universe.
After a very strong opening sequence, there's a couple of grumbles in terms of the pacing, where some slightly tighter editing could worked during the second act, and a little predictability in terms of the finale, but these are very much outweighed by the film's many positives. The said finale, provided quite possibly my favourite cinematic moment(s) of 2021, and it proved to be unexpectedly emotional too. If your invested in these characters, new or old, you won't fail to be swept up in the proceedings.
The new cast are generally all nice additions, with MCU regular Paul Rudd bringing an enthusiastic energy, and his flippant tone ensuring (the admittedly fun but silly) matters don't take themselves too seriously. Carrie Coon, so awesome in Gone Girl, is a good casting choice for the mother figure, but the film's trump card, and slaying all comers is young McKenna Grace. She's very much the focus here, and shoulders the weight of such a role fantastically well. She's got a knowing tone to her scientific spiel that many actors try and fail to deliver, and proves to be quite the charismatic big screen heroine. Finn Wolfhard I could take or leave as he wheels out his similar Stranger Things persona, and I won't get embroiled in other potential cast members, as they're a surprise best left unspoiled....
Refreshingly, having seen all the trailers, there's still plenty of undiscovered goodies that have been held back and I wasn't left feeling the best scenes/money shots had already been used in the advertising.
Having a modest budget of $75 million (before marketing), it's peanuts by many blockbusters standards, and will hopefully ensure it makes the healthy profit it deserves. And whilst the ending doesn't necessarily call for one, news that Reitman Jr is already developing a sequel is very welcome.
Oh, and don't miss the mid and post credits scenes. Unlike much of the recent MCU output, these stingers are absolutely worth the wait, and might have just made an already great film experience even better.

In years to come, will it be as beloved as the 84 original? - I'm not so sure, but in the meantime I'm more than happy to bask in what Jason Reitman has achieved here. Never less than hugely entertaining (I defy you NOT to reach the end without a big smile), with a bigger heart, and what a trip to the cinema should be all about.

8.5/10

Last edited:
Good to see that you got the review sorted nice and early Mark! I was so taken with it,, I was putting together my thoughts at 2am...Anyway, my take -

Ghostbusters (2021)

Having been my most anticipated movie of both 2020 and 2021 (Covid saw it delayed from it's original June 2020 slot), it was a relief somewhat to see this it land in cinemas, and not be relegated to a streaming platform.

I've a feeling this will have more than it's share of detractors, whether it's bemoaning the loss of it's New York City backdrop, or the over reliance on/ lack of (delete as appropriate) the nostalgia element. As much I miss the Big Apple being utilised, Reitman Jr makes the right call here using a completely different environment to allow new characters to evolve and a fresh story to unfold. I certainly have no problem with a bit of nostalgia, and having seen the original at cinemas back in '84, it was a utter joy to return to this world all these years later. it's a feeling I've only ever replicated with Blade Runner 2049, Doctor Sleep, Tron Legacy and The Force Awakens - belated sequels I'd never imagined I'd see. There's plenty of callbacks and nods to the original film for those that have seen it many a time, but the majority were tastefully done, a whole lot of fun, and always respected what Ivan Reitman created all, those years ago. It's very Amblin like in it's content and tone, but that works in it's favour
The SFX were on point throughout, with maybe only a couple of minor shots in an Ecto-1 chase sequence where it could have done with more work. Refreshingly, even with the third act, it never overcooks things to become a huge cgi mess. A lovingly crafted near perfect meld of old school practical effects, and cutting edge new ones.
The new score by Rob Simonsen is never very far removed from the original creepy synth heavy one by Elmer Bernstein, and it's familiarity is a big part of drawing the viewer back into this cinematic universe.
After a very strong opening sequence, there's a couple of grumbles in terms of the pacing, where some slightly tighter editing could worked during the second act, and a little predictability in terms of the finale, but these are very much outweighed by the film's many positives. The said finale, provided quite possibly my favourite cinematic moment(s) of 2021, and it proved to be unexpectedly emotional too. If your invested in these characters, new or old, you won't fail to be swept up in the proceedings.
The new cast are generally all nice additions, with MCU regular Paul Rudd bringing an enthusiastic energy, and his flippant tone ensuring (the admittedly fun but silly) matters don't take themselves too seriously. Carrie Coon, so good in Gone Girl, is a good casting choice for the mother figure, but the film's trump card, and slaying all comers is young McKenner Grace. She's very much the focus here, and shoulders the weight of such a role fantastically well. She's got a knowing tone to her scientific spiel that many actors try and fail to deliver, and proves to be quite the charismatic big screen heroine. Finn Wolfhard I could take or leave as he wheels out his similar Stranger Things persona, and I won't get embroiled in other potential cast members, as they're a surprise best left unspoiled....
Refreshingly, having seen all the trailers, there's still plenty of undiscovered goodies that have been held back and I wasn't left feeling the best scenes/money shots had already been used in the advertising.
Having a modest budget of $75 million (before marketing), it's peanuts by many blockbusters standards, and will hopefully ensure it makes the healthy profit it deserves. And whilst the ending doesn't necessarily call for one, news that Reitman Jr is already developing a sequel is very welcome.
Oh, and don't miss the mid and post credits scenes. Unlike much of the recent MCU ouput, these stingers are absolutely worth the wait, and might have just made an already great film experience even better.

In years to come, will it be as beloved as the 84 original? - I'm not so sure, but in the meantime I'm more than happy to bask in what Jason Reitman has achieved here. Never less than hugely entertaining (I defy you NOT to reach the end without a big smile), with a bigger heart, and what a trip to the cinema should be all about.

8.5/10

Nice review also. Genuinely curious to see McKenna Grace's performance now; the praise for her in this has been universal.

Nice review also. Genuinely curious to see McKenna Grace's performance now; the praise for her in this has been universal.
Mate, she's so good in this, and as I pretty much said in my review, totally carries the film! Miss Grace has a very big future I reckon...

Last edited:
The takes on this have such a big swing. It’s either absolute garbage or wonderful. Seeing later this afternoon.
I was just skimming the reviews on Letterboxd, and it does seem (sadly) to be getting a fair old kicking. Not sure what people expected from it, or whether their hype train was at full pelt, but for me, it delivered just what it promised.

I think this is - fairly - going to be compared to The Force Awakens, as it's effectively a soft reboot/sequel, retreading the first film to an almost (at times) absurd degree. But, this is - in my opinion - much more successful, as it's clearly been put together with a lot of love and affection for, and understanding of, the original, and there's enough new here for it not to feel like a total rip-off.

It seems to be the age hold problem of legacy sequels........what exactly do people want from it?

Too much fan service and its accused of being a shameless cash in that does nothing new; too little and too much variation away from its origin and it gets accused of losing what made the original film what it was.......almost damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Taking the shameless exploitation of nostalgia dollars out of the equation, GB:A comes from exactly where a legacy sequel should come from - from the heart of those with a real personal connection to the material. You only have to see how this film used those returning characters and how Paul Feig's did the same thing to see exactly what this film got right.

I just don't get any of the hate for this, apart from maybe playing a little too safe with the plot.....but when everything else around it was so good, I can easily forgive a little falling back on some safe old narrative ground. Or maybe my rose-tinted glasses are now permanently wedged into my face.......

Also, I laughed out loud at "I thought you were being obtuse" and was delighted that I wasn't the only one in my (tragically almost empty) screening. 😃

Phoebe's dad jokes were a real highlight!

It seems to be the age hold problem of legacy sequels........what exactly do people want from it?

Too much fan service and its accused of being a shameless cash in that does nothing new; too little and too much variation away from its origin and it gets accused of losing what made the original film what it was.......almost damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Taking the shameless exploitation of nostalgia dollars out of the equation, GB:A comes from exactly where a legacy sequel should come from - from the heart of those with a real personal connection to the material. You only have to see how this film used those returning characters and how Paul Feig's did the same thing to see exactly what this film got right.

I just don't get any of the hate for this, apart from maybe playing a little too safe with the plot.....but when everything else around it was so good, I can easily forgive a little falling back on some safe old narrative ground. Or maybe my rose-tinted glasses are now permanently wedged into my face.......
I do hope that we're not in the minority here loving it as much as we did. I genuinely want to see the AVF members having a great time with it over the weekend.

I do hope that we're not in the minority here loving it as much as we did. I genuinely want to see the AVF members having a great time with it over the weekend.
Well they're a smart, wholesome but cool, incredibly beautiful/handsome bunch with taste and style that never go out of fashion.......of course they will!

Saw this last night, i'd say 6/10.......9 is a bit high IMO.

Saw it yesterday and although it was an improvement over the huge pile of ectoplasm that was the 2016 reboot, this latest film just lacked originality and went overboard on the fan service.

Without spoiling anything, it recycles a lot of the original film's ideas and by the end I felt let down by just how lazy a film this is. It's an "all the gear very little (new) idea" tribute band act to the 1984 film, but lacked the charm and spirit of the original.

When I say recycle, I mean the film literally repeats lines and moments from the original, and not in an ironic way.

For those wanting to know, here are just a few major elements directly lifted from the first one (heavy spoilers ahead, click 'Spoiler' to reveal):

The main villain in the film is 'Gozer' from the first one, yet doesn't do anything new, even has the old temple set from the original. She asks Ray (Dan Ackroyd making a cameo appearance) "are you a god?". People get coated in marshmallow. The demon dogs return. There's a scene where one of the main characters breaks two other characters out of the dead demon dogs at the end. There's a scene where a demon dog chases one of the characters and he later gets turned into a demon dog. Just like the original. There are plenty more.

It's tiresome and you'll be rolling your eyes at so much familiarity, but when ultimately nothing new or special is brought to the table, the whole thing falls flat.

This latest film is symptomatic of one of the many things wrong with Hollywood at the moment - lazy filmmaking lacking original ideas.

As for positives, the cameos worked well and were a highlight (but should have been larger roles), and the soundtrack utilised a lot of the musical cues from the first two films which did bring a sense of nostalgia.

I think this one just confirmed for me that filmmakers just will not be able to capture the charm of the original. Even with this attempt recycling an embarrassing amount of the first film's plot and story and throwing in those musical cues, the cameos just confirmed that a major part of what made the original special is the chemistry between the original cast, as well as the original being very much of its era, and that just can't be replicated.

I disagree with the website reviewer's rating. 9 out of 10 suggests this is on par with or better than the original film and it's not in the same league.

Time to leave Ghostbusters alone and just appreciate that original film for what it is.

4/10

Last edited:
Thanks for the review Mark, this sounds promising!
I was sceptical when I first heard about the film, but this is the second positive review I've seen :thumbsup:

Saw this yesterday, like Mike Costello & few others mentioned plays a little safe and close to the 84 original plot, but is a very enjoyable 2hrs that flew by with a good cast (old & new), jokes that worked (not like Eternals)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom