Ghostbusters: Afterlife 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Cannot wait to see this! Really looking forward to for my rental copy next week! If I really enjoy it then I’ll buy a copy! Haven’t done that since end game!

Really enjoyed this and can’t wait to watch again. Just want WOWHD to dispatch the boxset

I agree about your examples, Doctor Sleep and Blade Runner being perfect.

But I really really thought this was too.

I cannot think that all these high scores are due to the fact that the expectations were SO low after the 2016 abomination of a movie.

It's a nice film, very respectful to the originals, with good acting by the kids, but that's about it - there are no surprises, no story to speak of, piss-poor 'villain', very so-so and unimaginative creature designs and FX, lousy 3rd act as a whole... Not a travesty of auto-remake like The Force Awakens, but 6.5/10, not more.

^^^That's probably a bit harsh for most but I kind of agree with all of the above lol.

And yup, a lot better than the 2016 movie but some way below the Original movie.

My original score was a 7 so, at some stage i'll probably buy this when I can get a cheap US copy. If only to continue to support Sony (the Kings of UHD). I'll try a re watch at some stage first. To see how it stands up to a repeated viewings.

Hollywood is deservedly attacked for relying way too much on sequels and remakes, but sometimes I think it's fine to give the fans what they want if it's done sincerely. This is a movie made for Ghostbusters fans and pretty much nobody else, and that's okay with me.

The cast was good, especially McKenna Grace (Phoebe) and whilst the story was partly a re-tread of the first movie it didn't feel cynical like The Force Awakens. It was more loving tribute than lazy re-hash. It wasn't perfect for sure, I thought the mother character was needlessly unpleasant throughout and just wasn't likeable, and the villain is rather undeveloped.

And the ending was surprisingly emotional and well done.

(make sure you keep watching once the credits start as there are two more sequences)

I loved it and I'm looking forward to this release.
Loads of humour, just the right amount of nostalgia, great fx and soundtrack ,a good cast and a lot of heart.

I just loved this. Felt shivers down the spine while watching - entirely nostalgic, yes, but in the best way. It made me feel the way I hoped Force Awakens would... but that movie resoundingly failed to do so.

Interesting, I loved The Force Awakens and got all nostalgic despite it being a direct copy of A New Hope and there being some utterly ridiculous events, but honestly for me the nostalgia wasn't enough to cover the cracks in this one. I really wanted to love it, but @Stepalex nails it here:

It's a nice film, very respectful to the originals, with good acting by the kids, but that's about it - there are no surprises, no story to speak of, piss-poor 'villain', very so-so and unimaginative creature designs and FX, lousy 3rd act as a whole...

It's interesting how polarising the views are on this. You've got those that say they loved it and those that thought it was a shambles.

It's interesting how polarising the views are on this. You've got those that say they loved it and those that thought it was a shambles.
Yeah but I think everyone would agree that…… I ain’t farid of no ghosts! 😎

Started off alright but quickly turned to garbage imo

Cracking film.

Your mouse has slipped though Cas and you've clicked on the 8 instead of the 10.

I'll forgive you :D

Hollywood is deservedly attacked for relying way too much on sequels and remakes, but sometimes I think it's fine to give the fans what they want if it's done sincerely. This is a movie made for Ghostbusters fans and pretty much nobody else, and that's okay with me.

The cast was good, especially McKenna Grace (Phoebe) and whilst the story was partly a re-tread of the first movie it didn't feel cynical like The Force Awakens. It was more loving tribute than lazy re-hash. It wasn't perfect for sure, I thought the mother character was needlessly unpleasant throughout and just wasn't likeable, and the villain is rather undeveloped.

And the ending was surprisingly emotional and well done.

(make sure you keep watching once the credits start as there are two more sequences)

I agree except for Carrie Coon. I thought she ticked the angry mother box well (I might be slightly biased here as I've been in love with her for years :D )

It's easy to see why the original cast returned though, I thought the ending was written and handled brilliantly.

And it's a fun ride. The chase through the streets was simple but exciting.

Definitely not blind-buying. I'm very wary of the Stranger Things 80's type kids/nostalgia films..
Which this has (imo). I was defo thinking Stranger Things/Super 8, whilst watching this. If that’s not your vibe then proceed with caution :D

Personally, I love the nostalgia. Rose tinted glasses maybe but it takes one back to much simpler and happier times (especially being a kid of the 80’s).

I still haven't seen it, but I don't think I've seen such polarizing opinions on a film before. It's either seemingly very good, or even worse than the 2016 ghostbusters (which is saying something!)

I didn't enjoy this, for me it was meh!😐

Definitely not blind-buying. I'm very wary of the Stranger Things 80's type kids/nostalgia films..
Nowhere near as entertaining as Stranger Things.
ST’s has a story, likeable characters, a script and is regularly funny.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom