Ghost Recon: Breakpoint (PS4)

For me a tactical shooter absolutely relies on two things:
- stealth mechanics (including detection mechanics)
- NPC AI
Sure a good setting, maps, story, etc helps, but without those two the tactical bit falls apart.

Wildlands wasn't great on the stealth side, and the AI was laughable, so I was really hoping Breakpoint massively improved both of those.

I guess what I really want, if someone is going to make an open-world tactical shooter, is a modern sequel to Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising.
That's a game template i'd like to play, miles away from the looter-shooter whatever Ubisoft was going for here (and in Wildlands too TBH), and i'm guessing more true to what Tom Clancy would have wanted.
It's like the designers havent read his books, or at least havent taken on the tone of his books.

So, I'm confused. I thought there were no AI team mates, but then reading this thread it says the devs decided to add them. But I'm not seeing any in my game. I've reached the camp/hub and it all seems open, but I'm still alone in the world.

I put a good few hours into this over the weekend and, quite frankly, I'm struggling to enjoy it. It has many little niggles and systems that I could really do without, the camp system, for example.

I also don't see the point of finding weapon blueprints. Off you go to collect a blueprint for a certain weapon and there's a good chance you'll pick up one of those exact weapons in a firefight on the way there. Even if you do craft a weapon at the base, 2 minutes later you'll pick up another weapon that is slightly better and swap to that one anyway. Wildlands at least made getting a new weapon meaningful, you'll go an steal the weapon case and then you'd have this new weapon available that you didn't have before. It may or may not be better than your current weapon, but it was still an event to unlock it. Here they are just disposable.

The faction mission balancing seems off to me as well. 15 battlepoints to clear out a base that contains men, heavies, robots and drones that may take over an hour (assuming you do it first go) and then 50 battlepoints to kill 4 soldiers in the middle of a field that takes 30 seconds.

I bought this with the intention of playing with a couple of friends in co-op, so hopefully it'll improve when we do kick off.

One thing I will say in it's defense though, the microtransactions aren't as pervasive as all the angry reviews would have you believe. They are there, but not shoved in your face like some games do.

So, I'm confused. I thought there were no AI team mates, but then reading this thread it says the devs decided to add them. But I'm not seeing any in my game. I've reached the camp/hub and it all seems open, but I'm still alone in the world.

I heard the AI teammates would be available after launch via an update. When I don't know.

This link should help you both:

:smashin:

This link should help you both:

:smashin:

Haha. But no, I didn't realise that they'd said they were going to have AI team mates, so it wasn't really misrepresented to me.

Free to play this weekend for anyone interested.

GRB_FREEWEKEND_MAP_NON_LOCALIZED_FINAL_UK__1_.jpg

Free to play this weekend for anyone interested.

View attachment 1273334

Worth a go for sure, I am enjoying it anyway and its had a massive overhaul since release including the immersion update on the 24th of March. I've not tried it since that update due to some addiction to a cute little title on the Nintendo Switch but have heard it's a big game changer literally.

This will be on ps plus in the next couple of months I reckon. Its had a lot of issues and fixes applied so it's probably a better idea to give it away to increase the player numbers. I'd definitely play it. I used to love the terrorist hunt back in the day on the old clancy games, they should revamp that imo.

This will be on ps plus in the next couple of months I reckon. Its had a lot of issues and fixes applied so it's probably a better idea to give it away to increase the player numbers. I'd definitely play it. I used to love the terrorist hunt back in the day on the old clancy games, they should revamp that imo.

I really like the look of the new hardcore mode and was tempted to pick it up, but like you say, this will be on PS+ or really cheap before long.

I bought it back in January in the sale for around ÂŁ20 and struggled to get into it. Put around 20 hours into it before sacking it in. As big as the world is, I just found the whole thing really dull and I missed syncing shots with your AI team mates like in Wildlands. It's probably a far better experience if you're playing with mates, but none of mine have it so I was playing through the game solo.

The new immersion mode is a decent update, where you can customise and turn off loads of features like the gear score and loot. I decided to give it another go after the update and again, I was bored after a few hours and ended up uninstalling it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom