Ghost of Tsushima (PS4 - 17th July 2020)

DAZ UK 74

Distinguished Member
You don't have to choose between the Samurai and Ghost style.

The art direction of the game inspired by Zelda and Shadow of the Colossus.

Fe_man2000

really looking forward to this but is this going to be the last FU from Sony regarding paying for generation upgrades ? Meaning this is the PS4 version and come christmas will I need to buy a PS5 version (assuming I get a PS5) to get the benefits of that console or will there be some free upgrade ? Any news on that ?

Cha1ky

really looking forward to this but is this going to be the last FU from Sony regarding paying for generation upgrades ? Meaning this is the PS4 version and come christmas will I need to buy a PS5 version (assuming I get a PS5) to get the benefits of that console or will there be some free upgrade ? Any news on that ?
Can always hold off until you find out.

DAZ UK 74

Distinguished Member
No news yet.

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
The game looks great. A cross between Witcher and Assassins Creed but with Sony first party polish :p

I have to admit that I’ve sort of written off this gen so I won’t be getting this until I have a PS5.

My Pro sounds like a jet engine and it really puts me off playing anything. My son plays Spider-Man and the noise from the console is ridiculous. I’ve got a few games installed that I just dare not play due to how loud the console gets. PS5 can’t come soon enough.
Why not fix it?

zt1903

Distinguished Member
How many times did Sony ask you to pay for a generation upgrade last time? There wasn't that many first party PS3 remasters and you didn't have to buy any of them if you didn't want to. The ones that did come out were all at a cheaper price point too.

Nevertheless this time round it's different. You will be able to play the PS4 version on PS5 and I think it's a fair assumption that GoT will benefit from running in native mode on PS5 instead of legacy mode.

Sony have said:

We’re expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We’re currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers.
Do you doubt that a late-gen first party game won't benefit?

BAMozzy

Distinguished Member
Do you doubt that a late-gen first party game won't benefit?
Personally, I think a lot of the first party PS4 games, particularly these late releases, will benefit from the PS5 hardware. I think that the Legacy modes will be used for a lot of the 3rd Party and early PS4 releases. I don't know whether the early releases - like Killzone or Infamous will benefit - maybe not at launch but we will have to see.

You would think that games would need a 'Patch' to benefit fully from the PS5 hardware. If games are using Chequerboard or fixed resolution rendering and capped frame rates that they stick too, then they will still run at that rate unless a developer patches in 'new' parameters - unlock the frame rate, change the way the game renders - and boost any of the other settings that extra power offers. Unless they build in a set of parameters for GoT on PS5 - like building in the Pro settings (which I think is likely at this point in time), the game will be locked to 30fps and likely to be locked to its CB render resolution - the 'Pro' spec.

Until we know more about how the PS5 works, you would think that the console will automatically determine whether the game is a PS4 only, a Pro enhanced title or a PS5 game and switch to the appropriate running mode to ensure it runs as expected. It may have a 'boost' mode but that would help games with unlocked and/or unstable frame rates and Dynamic Resolution Scaling to use the extra power to keep the game running at its 'capped' level but if games like this don't drop frames or resolution, then 'boost' mode would add nothing. However, if the Devs built in a PS5 mode - much like having a 'pro' mode, a specific range of settings like raising the frame rate cap, changing the render to 'native' with a higher resolution output and maybe tweaking the visual settings etc if its running on a PS5, then it would benefit more.

Hopefully Sony (or the Devs) will provide some info on the Games, BC on PS5 and which, if any, benefits we may see. I do think that games would need to be patched or have a PS5 mode built in to benefit the most otherwise the console will assume its a PS4/Pro game and switch to running in that mode. The game would need to have a PS5 mode to tell the console to run as a PS5 - at least that's what I think - although again it could have a boost mood but that would still keep the same max parameters as the PS4 (or Pro if enhanced) and so only those games that drop frames/resolution will benefit but will still be limited to the max levels the game was capped to.

I would be surprised though if this or Last of Us 2 haven't had that built in or will be patched in before the PS5 launches...

GeneticMutation

Why not fix it?
It doesn’t need “fixing” I assume it’s just the thermal paste and a clean of the fans. I’ve had the top off and cleaned what I dared to. Other than that I don’t trust myself to open it any further.

I’m currently playing my sons switch and going through all the Nintendo exclusives. I’m hoping they’ll keep me going until PS5.

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
It doesn’t need “fixing” I assume it’s just the thermal paste and a clean of the fans. I’ve had the top off and cleaned what I dared to. Other than that I don’t trust myself to open it any further.

I’m currently playing my sons switch and going through all the Nintendo exclusives. I’m hoping they’ll keep me going until PS5.
At which point you'll still have a Pro that sounds like a jet I presume?

It does need fixing, just to add my 2p - They shouldn't be insanely noisy. It's a bit of a fiddle to replace the paste (more invasive than just fan cleaning), but that has been a 100% fix for anyone that I've known that has had to do it.

You pays your money, you makes your choice I suppose - but you have mentioned it in more than one thread like its putting you off using the unit, when for a few quid and an hour of your time, you could fix it. I admit and agree, you shouldn't have to fix it, but there is a fix available...

Fe_man2000

How many times did Sony ask you to pay for a generation upgrade last time? There wasn't that many first party PS3 remasters and you didn't have to buy any of them if you didn't want to. The ones that did come out were all at a cheaper price point too.
Any number of these is too many to ask to pay for I think, if the game comes out a few months prior to new console release. But in this case I was specifically thinking about Ghost of tsushima. But it was The Last of Us that makes me worry as that was one of the titles that they got me on 7 years ago. I appericate that PS3 to PS4 was more work to do but I didnt like it then.

Also I am only talking about if there are actually different versions released, not talking about if it works using BC on both consoles - if that doesnt work we have a much worse situation so I assuming it will. But how will you feel if you have to play the PS4 version via BC on your PS5, while there is a better PS5 version availble but you have to pay again to get it ?

So I think its a fair question for any AAA title release on either console but as Sony has a worse record on this, hence my concern.

Cyberpunk 2077 for example is not confirmed as free on PS5, but is on Xbox.

So maybe its not many titles as you say but possibly its all the of remaining big game out in 2020 ?
Do we know if any of these have information on PS5/PS4 upgrades ?

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
Cyberpunk 2077
The Last of Us 2
ghost of tsushima

Basically what is Sonys "smart Delivery System" equivalent and if it exists what games are using it ?

EDITED - as something I mentioned I dont think is correct

Last edited:

BAMozzy

Distinguished Member
Basically what is Sonys "smart Delivery System" equivalent and if it exists what games are using it ?
That is something that hasn't yet been revealed by Sony at all and weather or not Sony will offer this. Its entirely possible that Sony won't have this at all and, if Devs offer any upgrade, its entirely possible that its just a Patch like we saw when the Pro launched. Its also possible that they offer a download texture pack to go with that patch - rather than a 'Smart Delivery' which installs just the high res Textures to Series X or Standard textures on XB1 - Smart Delivery too can just install the Language Pack you want - saving space too so you don't need to install all the other European languages - that too can save a LOT of space.

Anyway, that's getting a bit off topic but until we know more, its just speculation right now. Sony haven't (as far as I am aware) mentioned anything about a 'Smart Delivery' system with their PS5. That doesn't mean its not going to offer it and therefore any 'better' assets will either be unavailable or you have to download them. That doesn't mean that games will be available to play via BC at PS4 Pro levels - unless the Dev updates the settings for free to add in a PS5 mode or mean you have to buy a PS5 specific version (like you did with games like Battlefield 4, ACiv etc at the start of the current generations life), it just means that right now, Sony have yet to discuss that and therefore Devs like CDPR, Ubisoft or their own First Party studio's are not talking about their PS4 versions running on PS5 hardware. It will be interesting to see whether or not these games get a PS5/Series X specific release or not. It seems pointless to release a next gen version if the current gen will be the 'next gen' version to.

I don't think anyone has a definitive answer as to what (if anything) you can expect by playing this game on PS5 - whether or not you will get a full PS5 version, just some 'boosts' to resolution, frame rate and/or graphical settings or just a PS4 Pro like experience because Sony have yet to talk about that. They may have 'Boost' mode (like the Pro does) that improves frame rates and resolution - but only in games that drop frames or scale the resolution dynamically. It maybe 'expected' that we get a Smart Delivery full on PS5 version because MS has that, but Sony may well have in mind selling 'Remasters' - like Last of Us, Nathan Drake Collection etc.

Until we know, its pure speculation right now so I don't think anyone here can actually tell you what you will get definitively and even if they know the answer (as a member of the dev team for example) may not be in a position to talk about it until Sony give more information...

zt1903

Distinguished Member
So my tuppence worth, and appreciate we're getting off the Ghost topic!

IMHO "Smart Delivery" is a marketing term that is probably far less revolutionary than it sounds. Basically it means that if you've bought something on the Xbox store you can play it on any device that supports the Xbox store. That doesn't mean that your X Box One version and Series X version are different.

Similarly, Sony have already confirmed that basically all PS4 games are playable on PS5, which means that you'll be able to download your PS4 content on the PS5 from the PS Store. The biggest difference between the two will be the ability to play Xbox games on PC.

This generation is definitely different to last as far as BC goes. PS3 games needed to be remastered for PS4 because the architecture was so different, PS4 games will not need to be remastered for PS5 as they are so similar that a Legacy Mode is built in. PS4 games will be playable Day 1 and many will be improved. I imagine many will have a patch that brings further enhancements. I doubt that you'll need to buy games on both platforms.

I would also expect any major 3rd Party AAA game to have the same approach between PlayStation and Xbox so if your Series X enhanced CyberPunk is no extra charge (as they've already announced) you can bet that the PS5 enhanced version will be likewise.

Fe_man2000

Fair enough, I couldnt find anything on it yet, which makes sense as game devs are under NDA until Sony offically annouce more details. Sorry to hi-jack the Ghosts thread, I mentioned it here as I may hold off on getting this until its been confirmed if a PS5 version exists and what the situation is with it come Novemeber.

Hopefully soon more information will be released and we will know. I would be surpised if a Cyberpunk PS5 version is not free also as CD Projekt are good for this kind of Stuff, Sony 1st party games ? ... well let see.

NOTE - games released this close to the end of the current gen will be really good and I am not expecting a revolution if a PS5/xbox series X version was released, I dont want to make this out to be more than it is, but that is kinda why I dont want what ever difference are possible to be chargable. Its good bit of customer service to annouce that everything is sorted for your end of gen purchases if you are planning on buying the next gen at launch.

Last edited:

Cha1ky

Well they tweeted 'Gamers should never be forced to purchase the same game twice or pay for upgrades.' So if I do have to pay twice (as i'm a gamer), then they lied. :)

Cloysterpeteuk

At which point you'll still have a Pro that sounds like a jet I presume?

It does need fixing, just to add my 2p - They shouldn't be insanely noisy. It's a bit of a fiddle to replace the paste (more invasive than just fan cleaning), but that has been a 100% fix for anyone that I've known that has had to do it.

You pays your money, you makes your choice I suppose - but you have mentioned it in more than one thread like its putting you off using the unit, when for a few quid and an hour of your time, you could fix it. I admit and agree, you shouldn't have to fix it, but there is a fix available...
Yeah mine sounded awful from day one, it’s not new thermal paste I need, what I need is one of the re-designed CUH-7200 Pro Models that are far quieter.

Stinja

Well they tweeted 'Gamers should never be forced to purchase the same game twice or pay for upgrades.' So if I do have to pay twice (as i'm a gamer), then they lied. :)
Publishers are altruistic, so i'm sure they'd never want you to pay twice if there's a mechanisim to be more consumer friendly.

That was a /s in case not clear :rolleyes:

BAMozzy

Distinguished Member
That doesn't mean that your X Box One version and Series X version are different.
Again, not trying to go off topic - but how many of the 'Remasters' are different? If you replace the Assets - with higher quality ones, boost the output resolution and raise the frame rate cap - you could say that is more than some remasters offered - some just boosted resolution and some of the early PS4/XB1versions of multi-generation releases only had a higher resolution too. Assassins Creed 4, CoD Ghosts etc wasn't radically different on current gen to last gen.

Its not 'just' resolution or frame rate bumps that 'could' make a difference - you also have the option to tweak various settings - including LoD's - the distance that the quality of objects/textures change from high to medium to low, the distance that objects 'pop-in' to view or even the frame rate at which more distant objects/characters move. Foliage these days can be a 'visual' setting that could be tweaked so you have a greater density of grass/bushes that is visible over much greater distance and rocks/cliffs don't suddenly change from a low polygon soupy texture to high polygon high quality texture - at least not so obviously. As for lighting, shadows, ambient occlusion, reflections etc - they could all be 'enhanced' with ray tracing - much like PC games have the option to turn on RT effects if you have the right GPU, playing a game on 'Next' gen hardware could turn on RT effects as well as bump up the visual settings and replace textures/assets with high quality. It could do just as much as many Remasters.

I doubt you will see a PS5 version of a multi-platform release be radically different from the PS4 version anyway. You won't see a completely different cinematic cut-scene, different campaign etc. I don't really know what you expect - most games for the first few years will be built with at least a 'mid' tier PC in mind - even if they don't have a XB1/PS4 release. A lot of games will be higher res, higher frame rate, higher visual setting versions of games that are on older/weaker hardware. Its not going to be a 'radically' different version on next gen. Not suddenly going to stop having those 'elevator' sequences on PS5 just because they don't need to have them because there will be parity across the generation and often they use those for narrative too. Those things may well be designed out of games in the future but those games won't be built to run on PS4. Games that will be on PS4/XB1 will be the same as PS5/SeX - with better visual quality and/or higher frame rates so it stands to reason that a game like GoT will as well. Fast travel may take 30s or more on PS4 but be instantaneous on PS5 because the assets are streamed in and ready to go instantaneously so no need to wait for them to load in.

I don't really understand what you are trying to get at or what you are expecting??