'ghost lines' on new TV

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by -, Feb 19, 2001.

1. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob,
    I have noticed such ghosty shadowy lines/columns on dark grey screens on every TV set I have ever owned - even an Amiga monitor, in various houses and locations. I'm as puzzled as you are.

Chris.

2. RobG

RobG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've just had my Samsung W32W8VD 32inch widescreen TV delivered - it's a cracking set (although proabably not in the same league as the Sony & Panasonics :) ).

Anyway, I've noticed that when the screen is black (or during dark scenes like at the begining of the Matrx), there are faint vertical stripes on the left half of the screen - regardless of input medium (DVD, cable, video & ariel all give the same bars).

Also when there's white letters on a black screen (titles, credits etc) I see a 'streaking' effect - almost as if the contrast is too high (it's not).

Any other time the picture is sharp & crisp, colours are great - it's just when the screens dark I get these effects....

... could these effects be a defect or are they just a consequence of not buying a top of the range Sony/Panny. I'm fairly sure they're not gauss effect lines from speakers (this is a different symptom & causes a different effect)

I've check a couple of reviews and this problem hasn't been mentioned. I also bought the TV mail order so I have nothing to compare it against (No shops in Bristol sell this particular model).

I have a tech support guy comming around on Wednesday to check it, but I thought I'd throw it in here to see what you guys think... as I'm sure he'll give some cock & bull story to avoid replacing it.

If anyone has any thoughts on my little problem please let me know.

Cheers,

Rob

3. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob

I have a Toshiba 46 RP tv and I notice the same effect but only when there is no picture. In other words, when the picture is being projected 'black' I can't see the lines, but if I look at the plain black screen, I can. When 'blue screen' is on, it is perfect.It does not affect my enjoymeni though, the pluses far outweigh the minuses. I doubt if if is a 'fault' as such but I would be interested to hear what the engineer says about it. Keep in touch,

Dave

4. RobG

RobG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'Polarisation'. This was the explanation that I got for the lines on the TV. The two guys that came over to have a look at it where very nice; thay also seemed to know what they where talking about. They've taken the TV away yo the lab for further investigation, although tye did mention that there might not be a solution. V Happy with the service though (they're contracted through QED for tech support).... will keep you posted as to the outcome!

Rob

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be interested to hear the outcome as well. I have a Sony 4:3 25" set and have exactly the same problem. I did find out the brightness/contrast was turned up way too much and turned it down but its still slightly visible.
    If I could ignore it I would but it still jumps out at me when i'm watching a movie, particularly a DVD because the rest of the picture is so good.
    It would be interesting to see how many others notice this.

6. Neurotic

Neurotic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... The techies never got to the bottom of this problem - last time I called they were waiting on info from Sumsung Korean. I called QED and asked for a replacement which they agreed to. Got the replacement set last week - no funny lines, so I'm happy!!!

RobG :)