• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Ghost in the Shell

Mark_a

I would but I already have the DVD and a DVD of the second one (as yet unseen - saving that for my big screen), plus boxed sets of Stand Alone Complex, Gigs 1 & 2. All great stuff, if you like Anime, that is.

Regards

Mark

Razor

Distinguished Member
I bought Ghost in a Shell about 6 or so months ago. I have never got round to watching it. Is it really that good, should I be bumping it to the top of my 'to be watched' list? :)

Mark_a

Well, I actually enjoyed the Stand Alone Complexes more, though the technical superiority of the movies over the TV spin offs is without question. Gotta love the Major though. One kick-ass gal. :)

/RANT
And what is it with those friggin' 'Thanks' buttons? I just clicked on one by mistake. If I want to thank someone I'll thank them, not have some snively little back door button. Grrrrr.
/ENDRANT

Regards

Mark

Deeez Nuuutz

Distinguished Member
Funnily enough my friend just txt me to say "Watch The Ghost In The Shell Tonight @ 10 on ITV4 - Quality! " I have only just started to watch a bit of anime, i watched Appleseed (the remake) the other night to get the anime ball rolling and enjoyed it.

Only problem with watching it on a broadcasted TV channel is that i don't get to enjoy a DD or DTS mix with the film which IMO is so much more involving, i feel slightly more detached from the film when watching on tv than dvd.

Do i watch it tonight on TV or wait till i borrow someones dvd and watch it? mmmm :rolleyes:

Mark_a

And the other total deal buster for me is that they'll be showing the English dub. Just can't watch anime like that - it's either original Jap and subs, or not at all.

Regards

Mark

Razor

Distinguished Member
Mark_a said:
Well, I actually enjoyed the Stand Alone Complexes more, though the technical superiority of the movies over the TV spin offs is without question. Gotta love the Major though. One kick-ass gal. :)

/RANT
And what is it with those friggin' 'Thanks' buttons? I just clicked on one by mistake. If I want to thank someone I'll thank them, not have some snively little back door button. Grrrrr.
/ENDRANT

Regards

Mark

Thanks for the thanks anyway and cheers for the reply. :D

reevesy

Distinguished Member
funnily enough i've been scouting the net for good deals on this and no 2 this morning...think choices had the pair for 17 notes..i've only watched sky blue and the bits in kill bill,which i found myelf getting into much to my surprise.

fantastic dan

I was actually watching this there but really i don't think ghost in the shell is the best example of anime available (although i have the special edition DVD). It's not bad but if you have sky and are interested then rapture show wolf's rain and full metal alchemist most nights at about 8pm and both are very good shows.

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi,

fantastic dan said:
I was actually watching this there but really i don't think ghost in the shell is the best example of anime available (although i have the special edition DVD).

Heathen! Heretic! :rotfl:

Okay, GITS isn't the best anime available, but it's damn good compared to many, and bearing in mind it's 10 years old now, it still looks very technically well made. Hell, next year, "Akira" will officially be 20 years old (as it was made in 1987, although it officially released until 1988), and that film still holds up well, purely because it was completely hand-animated, with the only CGI piece being when the "power of Akira" is shown, in the doctor's mobile laboratory, and you hear that spellbinding piece of twinkly music, as the doctor and the captain of the army ( the shaven-haired guy) are shocked at how strong "Akira" (or Tetsuo) has now become!

Reevesy - The GITS movie is repeated later this week. Try resetting your Sky or Freeview box, and then you may be able to see ITV4 okay! Good Luck! :)

I should also warn people, that whilst "Wolf's Rain" and "FullMetal Alchemist" are both superb shows, the Rapture TV versions are dubbed, and the station has appalling sound and picture quality. Rarely do you ever get more than a few minutes of reasonable picture and/or sound, before one or the other goes doolally! :mad: Really annoyed the crap out of me! :mad:

Pooch

reevesy

Distinguished Member
Reevesy - The GITS movie is repeated later this week. Try resetting your Sky or Freeview box, and then you may be able to see ITV4 okay! Good Luck!

been having problems with itv channels on sky for ages now...did get a new lnb but have'nt got round to trying it..my signals below half strength so somethings wangy somewhere so i basically said sod it and ordered 1 and 2 from choices last night...15 quid i think :thumbsup:

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
PoochJD said:
Hi,

, "Akira" will officially be 20 years old (as it was made in 1987, although it officially released until 1988), and that film still holds up well, purely because it was completely hand-animated, with the only CGI piece being when the "power of Akira" is shown,

Actually there are quite a lot of computer generated backgrounds in Akira ( the parralaxing cityscapes , the Akira storage cell erupting and the liquid nitrogen pipes jetting about, but they were drawn and then painted by hand.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom