1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ghost in the Shell - DS or DD ???

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by dfield2000, May 22, 2003.

1. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm after a copy of Ghost in the Shell, and after checking out www.dvdcompare.org.uk it looked like the r2 was good, with a DD5.1 soundtrack. I looked on http://www.thatzdvd.co.uk/ (which was on a thread in the 'Special Offers' forum) where it is only £8, but it is showing as Dolby Surround. I've checked it on Play.com and they are listing it as Dolby Digital 5.1

Just been to HMV, where they have it on 2 for £20. Looked on the back of the box and it has a Dolby Surround marking, but no mention of DD. I had to settle for Blood:the last vampire and Perfect blue for £20, but I really wanted Ghost in the Shell - I just don't want to get a DS version if there is a r2 DD around.

Anyway, I'm basically asking in a long winded kind of way - Is the r2 Ghost in the Shell DD or DS ????

2. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    R2 has a English 5.1 and Japanese 2.0 track. R4 has a English 5.0 and a Japanese 2.0 track while R1 has a 5.1 and a 2.0 track.

Obviously the English track is way ahead of the Japanese one, however, the Japanese track is not bad for a DS and I always watch anime in the original language so there is a trade off whatever you choose.

Bulletsnbabesdvd.com R2 has a nasty lipsync problem which makes it almost unwatchable. Otherwise most sites says that R1 is a good transfer.

michaeldvd.com tested R1 and R4 and the summary was this.

R4 misses out a real 5.1 track (reg4 has a 5.0 track),manga video promo, fan club trailer and polygram video sampler. But it has a better video transfer "almost reference standard", all the extras apart from the above, and the 5.0 sound track is very good despite missing the LFE channel.

Depends what you want: the best video transfer with good Audios go for R4.
    a touch softer but still good transfer and a proper 5.1 audio and a good 2.0 audio - go for R1

Wasabi

3. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Wasabi.

I think I'd go for the full 5.1 mix, so the R4 is out. What was that bit about 'Bulletsnbabesdvd.com r2 lip sync' ? I can't find a web site by that name, but are you saying that all r2 copies are unwatchable due to a bad lip sync prob ? Has anyone got the r2 who can confirm / deny this

4. bawheid

bawheid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi dfield

I can confirm that R2 copy has lipsynch error throughout the whole movie, this applies to English and Japanese soundtracks.

The whole soundtrack seems delayed (eg gunfire is also out of synch).

It's a real shame as picture quality is good.

Like Wasabi I prefer to watch this type of movie in it's original language, so it's unfortunate that only the English version has DD5.1.

I have noticed that it's the same with Akira, so I have held off buying it. I am worried Akira may have the same lipsynch problems. Anyone know?:(

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem with my R1 Akira in Pro-Logic Jap. There's also a DTS Jap version out.

6. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
  7. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I've got the R1 DTS version of Akira - Fantastic Japanese DTS mix, with NO lip syncing errors that i noticed.

8. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

The problems with the R2 version of "Ghost In The Shell" is well-known. I'd also recommend going for the R1 edition of "GITS", as all the R2 DVD_Rom only material, is available as regular DVD extras on the R1 edition! Hence, you get a ton of stuff that's worth it, without all the lip-synching problems.

Hope that helps.

Pooch

9. bawheid

bawheid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks Pooch

Looks like a region mod for my Tosh player is in order.

10. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks everyone. I was tempted to get the r2 GITS from HMV's 2 for £20 this afternoon - I thought that I wouldn't mind a small lip sync problem - but after hearing that gun shots and other effects are out of sync it sounds pretty bad, so I'll definitely go for r1.

I watched Blood:The Last Vampire over the weekend and thought it was superb. I love the mix of CGI and hand draw animation. I've also got Metropolis which was similar. However I also watched Perfect Blue over the weekend and didn't enjoy it at all. Can anyone tell me if there are any other productions which use this CGI mix ? Is Princess Mononoke one of these ?

11. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

"Princess Mononoke" is a blend of CGI and traditional cel-animation. However, unlike most Hayao Miyazaki films, don't go expecting a cuddle-fest! It's a superb adventure though!

And what didn't you like about "Perfect Blue"?! This has to be one of the best anime titles to get released in recent years!

I'd also recommend "Noir", which is out at the moment. It's an action drama, and is in 16:9 anamorphic widescreen as well. Very good, from what I've heard!

Pooch

12. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    PoochJD,

'Perfect Blue' just didn't do it for me. I've only just started to watch this kind of stuff, and all I've seen so far is 'Metroplis' and 'Blood:The Last Vampire'. The animation in these looked razor sharp, especially in Blood. The tube train in the opening sequence almost looked like it was live action film. I thought the animation in Perfect Blue looked a bit fuzzy and jerky. I must admit I switched it off halfway through though.

I like the sound of Princess Mononoke from your description, so I'll get that. It's in HMV on the 2 for £20 offer, but I can't find a second title to get though. I've also ordered the R1 Ghost in the Shell from Play, and I just can't wait to watch it.

13. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Again,

Try watching "Perfect Blue" again, as it really is a fantastic thriller, that is very disturbing. If need be, watch it in 20 minute parts. You have to keep working out if what you are seeing is real, or the Mima's mind playing tricks on her.

The clues are there, though, if you look carefully. I'll give you a hint - the poster of the band she has just finished on her bedroom wall, and her fish in the fishtank. Keep an eye out for these two clues, and that may help you work out what on earth is going on. If you still don't get it, then e-mail me at:

thepizzapooch@EDIT-THIS-BIT-OUTwhsmithnet.com

and I'll talk you through it in detail. I promise you, if you work out everything, you'll have accomplished a great task, as it's a genuinely fantastic murder/mystery.

Pooch

14. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Choose the Japanese audio track, with english subtitles.

IMO I didn't think much of Ghost in the Shell, Princess Mononoke & Akira I feel are much better.

Get the R1 Princess Mononoke (better than the R2 over here) The R2 Japanese is even better, but probably quite expensive.

15. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    OK Pooch, you have got me curious about Perfect Blue. I'll give it a watch and then embarrass myself by trying to explain what I thought it was about.

Nathan -> Why do you say that the Mononoke R1 is better than the R2 ? I've checked out DVDcompare and it reckons that the r2 is OK - although it does talk about a Collectors Edition. I'm not sure if that's the version they've got in HMV.

16. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok R2 of PM has the book, but R1 has two english subtitle tracks (don't know what this means) perhaps different translations?

17. hdrees

hdrees
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PERSONALLY I LOVE ANYTHING WITH THE GHIBLI BADGE ON WHISPERS OF THE HEART BEING ONE OF THE BEST ANIMES I KNOW OF (I DONT KNOW THAT MANY!)

18. blue73

blue73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This movie is just brilliant,

I've got it on R2 and have found some lip sync probs but still what ever I'd rather watch it in its native audio and use subtitles ( just like das boot).... :smashin:

19. hdrees

hdrees
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    COMPLETLY AGREE YOU ALSO GET THE EMOTIONS THE ORIGINAL ACTORS WERE PUTTING ACROSS BETTER!

20. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    There are absoulutely no lip-sync problems on my R2 of GITS, and I've seen it about 10 times, so i would have noticed it.

21. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    hdrees - please turn off your CAPS LOCK. Writing in CAPS is considered bad manners and the internet equivilant of SHOUTING.

22. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought I'd add my two cents on the subject. R2 (uk) ghost in the shell does have lip sync problems but manga uk are realising a special edition ersion soon where the problems hsould be fixed, not sure what else they add tho. On the orignal version there was loads of DVD-rom content that on the R1 version was access on a normal dvd menu.

As far as princess mononoke goes the R1 version has a literal japanases translation, ie. as close as possible subs as you can get, the Uk version deosn't have this or they really mucked it up. Hope that helps, so if you like subs than the R1 version really is for you.

23. John R Baker

John R Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have GiTS and have no audio problems, however I believe that I bought the DVD when it was first pressed.

I believe that the first run had a problem with a 16x9 setting not being set on the disk even though the film aspect ratio was 16x9, so I have to alter the widescreen setting on my TV when I play the film.

24. hdrees

hdrees
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wow i didnt know that im so SORRY btw i dont REALLY care!

25. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Again,

On the initial R2 run of G.I.T.S., there was a problem with the 16:9 switching mode, meaning that everyone watching the DVD would get a squashed 16:98 picture, whether or not you were using a 16:9 or 4:3 TV. There was also a severe lip-synch problem with it.

When the second run was released, this cured the 16:9 picture issue, but failed to sort out the lip-synch on both audio tracks.

The new Special Edition looks to have little in the way of extras, apart from the G.I.T.S. Production Report video, that lasts about 25 minutes, and is a behind-the-scenes documentary in Japanese, with an over-dubbed, US language-track. It's good, but often turns up on the Sci-Fi Channel, here in the UK. As such, it's still not worthy of Manga Video labelling this new version of G.I.T.S. as a "Special Edition".

Stick to the R1 release, of G.I.T.S. unless you absolutely have to have the Production Report.

Pooch