1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ghost in the Shell 2

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Sinzer, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    Just seen the first half of this and OMG!

It is not usual that I believe a sequel will be as good or better, but this is simply unbelievable and I have only watched one half of the film!

I really cannot describe how good the animation is, this is anime on steriods.

I will definately be going to the cinema to see this (if it gets a decent release). The storyline is a little confusing, at the moment it is just fansubbed but the overall feel is very bladerunner, not quite as straightforward as the first.

Basically if you only ever go to see one anime film in your life, this is the one (currently :) ).

Wow :clap:

2. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You should check out the superb Ghost in the Shell Stand alone complex TV series - Fantastic series with some great dvd releases (apart from the cock ups)

3. Kish Kash

Kish Kash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't suppose GITS 2 is getting a UK cinema realease by any chance?

We can but hope......

4. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I have the 1st on dvd, does this 2nd follow on from the 1st? or do i need to watch the series thingy before?
    Thankyou. :)

5. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The TV series is more based on the manga(comic) I believe and is set before the puppet master? It features alot of great action from the tachikoma's (the mini spider tanks) As the Name suggests the series contains 'Stand alone' Eps - single storys and 'Complex' Storys that involve and continue throughout the series.
    You dont need to have watched the movie to enjoy the series.
    As for Ghost movie 2 its a direct sequel to the movie - The Major is gone and the robots are in revolt? Dload the USA Trailer at Daves Trailer page Here

6. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    You really should watch the first movie to get the general feel for the anime. It also helps you understand the motivation behind the characters. The TV series is optional, but you could watch none of the other films and still understand what was going on.

The Major is no longer in it (at least in the first half) but you will understand the references to her.

Batou is the main character in the film and what you don't see in the first film is just the unbelievable amount of butt kicking Batou can do. There is one fight scene in the first half that is awesome.

The film does have a reasonable amount of action but it is quite slow at the same time, with the usual character exploration and atmosphere building you would expect from a Japanese Anime. The music scored by the same musician from the first film really compliments the direction, and the vistas of cities that are used to build atmosphere (one goes on for at least 5 mins) are so stunning they sent shivers up my spine.

I am a big fan of anime, and this film will be the Akira of it's generation IMO. It is simply a long time since I have seen a film and been so impressed by it that I was actually wooping out loud at some of the scenes.

I really do hope this gets a general release.

7. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks for all the info guys!

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    Any news on the new Appleseed movie?
    There was a screening earlier this year at the ICA but it was invitation only and I couldn't go .

9. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Well, so-far, there's no UK release date yet as far as I know, and the film hasn't been officially submitted to the BBFC for certification for a cinema or home-viewing release.

If, and when, it comes out, it will almost certainly be limited to a few of the bigger arthouse cinemas around the UK, e.g. in towns like London, Birmingham, Manchester, Nottingham, Glasgow and so-on, and so-forth. Then, hopefully it will come out on DVD by the end of next year.

Anime releases don't seem to get as much of a cinema release now, as they did a few years back, here in the UK. About five or six years ago, I used to see as many as three anime titles on the cinema. Now, they hardly ever crop-up. The last major anime release in the UK, was "Cowboy Bebop: The Movie" at cinemas. Yet Satoshi Kon's awesome "Tokyo Godfathers" pretty much came straight to DVD.

I wish more cinemas would show more anime movies! They so deserve to be seen on the big-screen, especially with titles like "Appleseed" and "Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence" now being released.

Pooch

10. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks a lot I will be treating myself to Ghost in the Shell 1 & 2 for Christmas along with the Standalone Complexes :thumbsup:, they are a relative bargain on DVD-Soon at the moment, well apart from the original movie that is, Play are doing that for 7.99.

While I am on not a great Manga Aficionado, love Ghost, Golgo 13, and seen a few others on late night TV but can not remember the names:rolleyes:, can I have some recommendations, they must be in the same style as above mentioned and if they are on offer anywhere that would be a bonus, already know Akira is a must. :smashin: Thanks in advance for any reccomendations.

11. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    PWiles,

Firstly, if you're a fan of Japanese animation, then you need to learn the difference between "Manga" and "Anime".

Manga is the Japanese word for comic book.
    Anime is the word for Japanese animation

This common misconception comes from the fact that there is a company called "Manga Video" or "Manga Entertainment", which mistakenly uses the word "Manga" in the wrong context.

Putting that issue aside, recommended titles in anime, in general, include any of the following:

Perfect Blue
    Dominion Tank Police
    New Dominion Tank Police
    Akira (obviously!)
    Tokyo Godfathers
    Cowboy Bebop (26-episode TV series)
    Cowboy Bebop: The Movie (also known as Cowboy Bebop: Knocking On Heaven's Door)
    Ghost In The Shell
    Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex
    Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence (not out yet in the US or UK)
    Urotsukidoji (Be warned, this is very a disturbing and frequently depraved title, so don't watch this is you are at all squeamish! Only the cut versions are available in the UK, though you can import the uncut versions, if you so wish. However, for full details, just look at this thread here )

And this thread here will also help you choose some titles.

I should also just say that if you do a keyword search using the words "anime", "manga", "japanese animation" or "japanese anime", then you will find numerous other threads about this beautiful artform.

Lastly, unless you have a multi-region DVD player, your choice of anime will be very limited. You need a machine that can play Region 1 and Region 4 discs, to get some of the best titles.

That should help you out, as a start! :)

Pooch

12. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I dont know the fine points but I had realised my mistake after posting but did not have time to edit, thanks for the suggestions, the 4 gost in the shell DVD's will be for christmas.

13. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I've thoroughly enjoyed some animated films and have a few in my collection including princess mononoke, spirited away, blood the last vampire, vampire hunter d, metropolis and titan ae to name a few (and which I thoroughly recomend:)). Some of the art work and animation is breath taking and I'm rather suprised that this genre is not more popular and widespread. I feel that a lot of anime is unfortunately over looked in favour of what disney and the like (who do offer some excellent titles too)have to offer, but, the success of spirited away has helped to open a few more eyes. I have seen Ghost in the shell before many years ago and will get around to purchasing both the dvd's when they become available. Has anyone got a link to the definative editions of these dvd's (any region) and I've heard many good reports on akira, but, I've never got around to checking it out yet. Is it worth adding to my collection or is it now begining to show it's age?

hawk

14. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Akira is still well worth buying. The DTS edition is superb and nice and cheap on R1.

15. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hawklord, DVD-Soon Has Both Movies and the Stand Alone Complexes although Play Has the First Ghost in the Shell both the Standard and special editions quite cheap.

16. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    Akira still looks as awesome as it ever has IMO :)

I would also add :-

Hellsing
    Gundam Wing
    Macross
    My neighbour totoro
    Fist of the North Star (starting to show its age but still cool :) )

17. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Dont forget theres an all new Fist of the north star series just come out on R1 - no idea if its good though But i'm going to order the first vol from dvdpac soon as possible.
    Other titles
    Berserk - Fantastic series - just wish they would make some more.
    Gundam Seed
    Gundam 8th M.S. Team
    Gundam 0080 + 0083
    Patlabor Movies+ OAV's + Tv series
    Silent mobius TV - DIRT CHEAP on R1 double disc sets for £5 a set!!
    Rahxephon TV
    GunGrave R1 has DTS
    Wolfs rain
    Full metal Panic
    A.D. Police
    Bubblegum Crisis + Bubblegum Crisis 2040
    Cowboy Bebop TV + Movie
    Spriggan Movie
    etc etc.

18. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Just a quick word of warning. Do NOT buy the new Region 2 "Fist Of The North Star TV Series" DVD boxed-set from Manga Video UK.

The reason being, the series ran for about 180 episodes. Manga, only have the rights to release the first 30 episodes or so, which is what you get in the DVD boxed set! Oh, and just to make matters worse, they've redubbed all the original soundtrack, and added lots of crappy Techno/Dance music instead of the original stuff! :mad:

As such, you are left right in the middle of a storyline, that you'll never get to see completed. This is akin to releasing just "Star Wars: Episode 5 - The Empire Strikes Back" and none of the rest of the films in the series!

Truly pointless! One of the worst releases Manga have ever done in the UK!

Pooch

19. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    The japanese version of ghost in the shell 2 is out in japan, but unfortunaletly has no subtitles.
    I still dont completely understand japanese. Ill probably get the R1 editions when it comes out. Still the R2 edition has a really nice box!

Havent seen the movie yet, looking forward to it.

To be honest the quality of manga in japan has gone down dramatically over tha last few years. With the exception of moves realsed in the theaters like ghost in the shell and Patlabour 3 last year.

TV anime has become really weird and I think rather hentai. meaning perverted.
    It seems that these day only this type of manga and anime sells here. There is of course kids manga too like pokemon and all these other "card battle" based manga shows. but they bore me and I often end up watching reruns of older manga like dragon ball which shows on cable.

When i was in the UK dragon ball still hadnt reached there. has that changed? If not i recomend you to watch it from the begining to the end Its well worth it!

It seems that manga as well as games has reached some kind of stagnation point in japan. I think stuff coming out of the US is better now than whats coming out of japan! Sad really.

20. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    Yeah, Dragonball, Z and GT are on everyday on Toonami.

Dragonball and Dragonball Z I really enjoy, I am not a huge fan of GT though.

Worth watching tho :)

21. Kish Kash

Kish Kash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which version of GITS SAC should I get then? R1 or R2?

I know most animated films look great on dvd regardless of region, but one must be superior?

What extras do you get with the "collectors edition", or shall I just go for the standard versions??

KK

22. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    R1 and R2 releases of Stand alone have some problems.
    details from dvdforums..
    The R2 suffers from....
    The R1 Vol 1 Standard edition is fine (i have this)
    The Limited Edition Vol 1 has a faulty DTS track and the music Cd has the track listings wrong Bandai are replacing these so i would guess the Replacements are also in stores by now.
    R1 Vol 2 - another cock up (hopefully sorted out now) Standard Edition has the DTS dvd in it instead of the DD dvd - Extras are same on either dvd.

23. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    More info...
    R4 release is out October 20th - This (fingers crossed) should be fine But no DTS.

24. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Got vol.1 of stand-alone complex and I must say, its the best anime i've seen in a while.

As for audio, my R2 version was a disaster (which is a shame because the soundtrack/effects seem pretty good.) It was "phase inverted" and had about 80:20 L/R balance-shift. What a mess! Do you think I could send it back to Manga Video for a replacement?

DT

25. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Just a quickie:

1) I conceded: I went out and bought the Region 2 Manga Entertainment boxed set of "Fist Of The North Star: TV Series". I got it for just £19-99 from my local MVC store (which beats almost every online retailer hadns-down!).

Despite what I wrote in an earlier post in this thread, the set isn't too bad. It's not great by any means, but for less than £20, it's worth it. However, do bear in mind everything I wrote prior to this. The set isn't complete, the new English-dub is appalling, (although the Japanese one is the original version, and has genuine subtitles rather than dubtitles), and the set isn't 1200 minutes, but 900! (A massive five-hour difference, because someone at Manga can't count properly!)

Yes, I feel a total hypocrit, but nonetheless.... :laugh:

2) For those wondering which version of "Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex" to buy, if you buy the Region 2 version, you get both the Dolby Surround version, and the DTS versions, but on different discs. The DTS soudtrack is perfect, sounds brilliant, and has no problems.

Pooch

26. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Is there any know issue with the R1 'Ghost in the Shell - Innocence' movie?

Is the English audio track in 5.1 or stereo only? (Does it actually have one, it's not clear from some of the websites I checked!?)

27. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well when it was first released it only had English hard of hearing subtitles -which meant all the japanese dialogue was subbed but also the sound effects eg a helicopter flying by would come up on the subtiles as 'Helicopter flies pass' etc etc Very annoying. Good news is Dreamworks have re released it with proper English subtitles now.
    As for soundtrack its got a superb japanese DD 5.1 track on it - no idea about a English lang track - why would you want to watch it dubbed !?

28. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    hmm GITS:2 looks good, loved the first, one of the only mangas in my dvd collection.

Perfect blue being the other, fantastic film, second most fave ever. I want Street Fighter 2

but im desperately waiting for 3x3 eyes. it has to be the best film i have ever seen! really emotional too, and to think when i first saw it i only thought it was 1 part! lol caught up with it on week 3 and it was fantastic

29. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the info. I prefer a dubbed version (like the first GITS) rather than watching with subtitles.