Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Ghost in the Shell 2 - Best Anime Ever?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by dynamic turtle, Jan 17, 2005.

1. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Watched this at the weekend and all I can say is *wow*! Absolutely stunning animation. Totally beyond my expectations.

OK, so the storyline is a little sureal and philosophical, but it is asking serious questions that we may have to answer one day.

Also, I was surprised to see that it was a joint effort between Studio Ghibli and Production IG (all the better for it)!

It also has the best dedicated 2-channel DD mix I've heard in AGES. They've have taken a lot of care in mixing/recording the soundtrack. The "making of" supplemental would also seem to confirm this. I'll be impressed if the DTS mix can improve on it.

PQ of the R1 version (cdwow) is great. However, there is a problem (yes, another fine mess from the disaster masters, Manga Video) with the subtitles. The R1 version is Japanese dialogue only, yet the English subtitles are designed for the hearing impaired! So, you get the name of the person in brackets on screen:

"[Batou] Have you broken the firewall yet?"

and notice of any sound effects:

[birds fluttering]
    [gunfire]
    [footsteps]

Arrrrrgggghhhhh, enough to drive anyone mad! What the hell were they thinking? I hope they rectify this for the R2 version.

Still doesn't spoil this stunning, stunning film that HAS to get a general cinema release in the UK :lease:

2. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Nothing to do with Manga video (cant believe i'm sticking up for them :blush: ) The R1 dvd is made by Dreamworks and it was them that put on closed caption Eng subtitles.
    Also isnt the Japanese track in DD 5.1 ?? mine certainly was.

Its a good film with some stunning animation(love the Basset hound - its a nice trademark of Mamoru Oshii as he owns a Basset Hound and they always appear in he's movies) but storywise the Stand alone complex series is far better. Its certainly no way near the best anime movie ever but its worth a watch if you are a fan and you can put up with all the
    philosophical crap that the characters spurt out 7/10.

3. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    There is a discrete 2.0 DD track on my R1 1-disc version.
    Yep, the bassett hound is amazing - just exudes personality!

I also have GITS:SAC (complete with messed-up soundtrack :mad: ) and agree that its better in terms of storyline. GITS 2 does feel like a lecture sometimes.

Also, I think GITS 2 desevers an extra point for not featuring any over-flexible mechanical crab/spider machines!

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Dynamic Turtle,

You mean the "Tachikomas"! :lesson: (The robot/crab-like robots, that also have their own little spin-off vignettes, at the end of the Stand Alone Complex episodes! If you haven't seen these, stay-tuned after the end of each episodes closing credits, and enjoy 30 seconds (or so) of slightly offbeat and nutty animation! :thumbsup: )

Pooch

5. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Anyone know of a R2 or R4 (PAL) release of this? I've been holding off getting this as i wanted to see it at a cinema.
    I could settle with a NTSC version if the subtitles aren't screwed up, the picture is good and the price is right. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys.