Ghost in the Shell (1995) 4K UHD

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
My disc arrived from Amazon US today. It's not a steelbook and my goodness I had forgotten just how naff American amaray boxes are. They may as well be made of paper.

That aside, onto the disc. I've seen this movie so many times on so many formats I know it almost as well as Akira. I first saw it in an independent cinema in the UK and I've loved it ever since. I've owned it on VHS, DVD, and Blu-Ray and it's honestly never had a good transfer. It was always noisy an rather soft, and this 4K disc doesn't change that. Darker shots are absurdity grainy, but brighter shots look considerably better. HDR is barely there, despite the disc proudly proclaiming that the disc needs an HDR TV to be fully appreciated. The audio (both the original Japanese and the dub) are in Atmos and sound great.

There are couple of extras on the disc, a new 18 minute retrospective and a 10 minute piece about the art.

It's a better disc than the recent Akira 4K one, but it's still pretty poor. I've seen a lot of anime from the 80s and 90s remastered on BD and they can often look incredibly crisp and clean. This doesn't.

The film is still a 10 though. And it's so, so, so much better than that god awful Netflix CG Ghost in the Shell abomination. And it has the original ending music too, not the mess Manga video slapped onto the end of their regular.

And it has the original ending music too, not the mess Manga video slapped onto the end of their regular.
Except it doesn't.

Chant III is missing from the Japanese tracks.

The English dub is fine with the U2 & Brian Eno track, but that's been copied and pasted across the Japanese audio options as well.

Not that it bothers me, I've always watched it dubbed in English.

^ Anime-on-line link added to OP.
Cheapest pre-order at £17.49

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom