'Ghost' images when passed-through to a TV

Tafkap

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,
My father-in-law has a new Panasonic DVD-recorder, and a new Panny plasma.

Freeview from either the plasma or recorder's tuners looks fine, but when changing inputs to Sky, you have a faint scrolling image of another channel. Very off-putting during football. It's sometimes the same channel on Sky he's watching, other times it's a terrestrial channel.

This only happens when you're watching Sky via the DVD recorder. The scart from the Sky box goes into the back of the recorder, then another scart goes from that into the plasma.

I thought it may be interference in the cheap scart, but a shielded one hasn't helped (albeit I got 15m rather than 5m by mistake!).

Any ideas why the DVD recorder should be introducing this 'ghost' image of a channel in the background?? Cheers.

15M scart! Gulp. :)

The test to determine the most likely cause is [ whilst the fault is displayed. ] to remove the aerial plug from the TV and see if the ghosting disappears from the display.

Which location is the 15 M scart Sky to DVDR or DVDR to TV?

Thanks Gavtech, I'll phone him tonight and check if the aerial is plugged in.

To confirm, it's just one 15m scart (weighs a ton!) from the Sky box to DVD-recorder, and from recorder to the TV.

Fingers crossed!

What do you mean " just one 15m scart (weighs a ton!) from the Sky box to DVD-recorder, and from recorder to the TV." You need two cables to achieve this.

Sorry, to clarify it's one 15m cable from the Sky to recorder, as the satellite box is a couch length from the telly.

Then a seperate 1m cable from the recorder to the plasma.

I also get this ghosting - in my case it's watching the satellite receiver channel and getting a ghost image of whatever the TV is tuned to.

Wired SR-DVD-TV, so 3x potential for SCART cable breakthrough.

Thanks Gavtech, I'll phone him tonight and check if the aerial is plugged in.

Maybe you misunderstood. I want you [ him] to deliberately remove the aerial plug whilst the fault is present.

Whether the fault goes or stays will help identify where the problem lies.

I also get this ghosting - in my case it's watching the satellite receiver channel and getting a ghost image of whatever the TV is tuned to.

Wired SR-DVD-TV, so 3x potential for SCART cable breakthrough.

Can you do the same test as above?

Been away a few days, but on my return I've been told that the removal of the aerial made no difference.

However, Gavtech, given your precise instructions I'll phone him tonight and get him to do it there and then. Thanks again for your help.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom