Ghost images of other channels in background

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by smythe, Oct 21, 2005.

1. smythe

smythe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I have a problem with my TV setup in that when watching, as well as recording either terrestrial tv or freeview with my VCR I can see a ghost image of another channel in the background. This is especially so when the screen has a predominantly black picture or red for some reason. I think it may be related to a strong signal in the area, but is there anyway of fixing this?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Smythe

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,652
    There are a number of things which can cause this.
    It can sometimes be caused by a poor quality badly screened scart lead....first thing to try is to get a good quality individually screened scart lead...the thicker the better is usually a good rule-of-thumb.

If it is due to a very strong signal a way to prove this is if you are recording Freeview via a scart lead on your VCR pull out the aerial connection to the VCR and if the background image disappears it means you do have too strong a signal...which can be cut down by fitting an in-line attenuator (available from Maplins).
    Another cause may be your VCRs RF modulator output may be sitting on top of..or too near a broadcast channel, this is the first thing I would try.:smashin:

3. smythe

smythe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ta Jay, i'll give it a go

4. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I had the same problems and decent scart and AV leads cured it.

5. smythe

smythe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    think its the scart or the av lead from my video, pretty good picture when I take that it of the loop. Have to get shopping....mystery solved