1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ghost help?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by JohnS, Jan 2, 2003.

1. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I used Norton Ghost 2003 yesterday for the 1st time on my hard drive which is split into 3 partitions.

I already had a badly functioning system on partion 1 the "C" drive. I then did a new install of xpsp1 and drivers to partion 2 my "D" drive and cloned it to my 3rd partion the "E" drive. I then put all the apps I use on the "E" install and its now working properly. While it is I want to clone this to the "C" drive so that I have a working system and a raw system to fall back to but is it alright to overwrite the "C" drive and will it keep my boot.ini intact so that I can still boot into the other options?

Thanks

2. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John

May I just clarify. Is your OS on the D: drive and when you have installed your apps you have installed them to your E: drive?

3. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    No,

C .... original complete working install
    D .....new install with drivers and no programs
    E ....D cloned + programs now fully working

I would like to overwrite C with E, thus giving me C to use and 2 stages of with and without programs to fall back to.

4. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I am aware with Ghost from my personal experience it will only copy to C: what you have ghosted. Therefore if D: does not have the boot.ini file with your options in then you will no longer be able to choose where you boot to. You could try copying your boot.ini to a floppy and then after you have done the ghost restore copy your boot.ini back :)

Hope this helps?

5. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    :confused:

OK, just did the clone and after the reboot is says

NTLDR is missing

Any ideas how to find it?

6. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The NTLDR should be copied when you do the clone as it is put on by the OS software when building.

7. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Wel the bloody thing forgot then:rolleyes:

Did a google search and found out how to copy NTRLDR to the C drive but now it just spontaniously rebbots, also tried the FIXMBR in the Recovery Console. Going to try the NTLDR to D next.

8. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    That didn't work either!

Might try a repair on C next.

9. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John. When you boot up what is it saying?

10. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Nothing now, it detects the drives, looks for the bootable CD and then reboots if you dont press a key to boot from the CD, I've started a reinstall to C now which was the one I was getting rid of anyway so its not the end of the world, (I just hope the E will be accessable once I'm done and altered the boot.ini).

Seems like you can only clone away from the C drive or other than it, not to it.

Didn't have much to do today anyway;)

11. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well thats a bit pants then isn't it. That must mean that the NTLDR for the OS you installed on D: drive must only reside on C: drive, will have to investigate that one a little more for future ref.

When you have reistalled XP as long as you haven't played with the partitions you should still be able to access D: and E:

Please let me know how you get on? :)

12. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thats fixed it...refreshed C, altered the boot.ini and D and E are still okay so the lesson is dont overwrite C......we learn something new everyday:)

I wonder if you can copy the C to a slave drive and then make it a master, I'll have to try that next.;)

13. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    For anyone interested a simple disk to disk clone hasn't worked for me either on the primary partion, I must be missing something??

14. IAmATeaf

IAmATeaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your problems from my understanding of your post stems from the fact that if XP/W2K/NT4 is installed on anything other than the C: partition there are always required files on the C: drive that it need to boot up, hence your problem and resulting messages.

It is possible to get ghost to work correctly but I've never tried this but just dumping down a single isolated partition, I like many other people in the IT trade use it to clone drive images onto other systems but I have only ever done complete drive images which does include a number of partitions and never on an individual partition by partition basis.