• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Ghost Giant - April 16th 2019

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
This is my most anticipated game of the year tbh, this is the type of game that I love most about PSVR. Sound like it will have a lovely narrative which I value highly in any game. The tone reminds me of the emotional effect I had playing Tale of two Brothers.

Jimster71

Distinguished Member
This is my most anticipated game of the year tbh, this is the type of game that I love most about PSVR. Sound like it will have a lovely narrative which I value highly in any game. The tone reminds me of the emotional effect I had playing Tale of two Brothers.

There should be plenty of humour in it too, being developed by Zoink Games. Their game Stick It To The Man is definitely worth a go, if you haven't played it.

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
First review of the complete game. I havent actually watched the whole review as I dont normally read reviews, but I skipped to the end to get his summary.

So this is NOT a Moss or Astobot style game. It's an interactive story game. But I am personally still very much looking forward to it as I love narrative exploration games.

hakr

Enjoying this so far. Kind of reminds me of fisherman's tale. Interactive stories work really well in vr because you can play a bit, it's very directional, so you don't have to think too hard, and can put it down when you need a rest, but keep coming back to do a little more each day.

I really enjoy short burst of playing in games like this. A few little puzzle elements, but mostly story.

They might seem childish, but I think they're my favourite genre of vr game. They also usually just work right off the bat, instead of putting out broken games that take several months of patching before a working game is available lol.

Sometimes simplicity is better.

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
I just finished playing this. I agree with Glenn, Interactive stories are fabulous in VR.

This was actually my most anticipated game but TBH I thought Ghost Giant was going to be something like Moss but its absolute NOT anything like that, completely different genre and I am actually quite glad as unlike Moss, I get a complete story here (Moss is Book 1 of an intended series that I have no idea if they intend to complete). This is as Glenn says a simple interactive story. But I love interactive narrative games too. Deracine and Eleventh Hour being so far my best unforgettable experiences. But there are several others I have had immense enjoyment with such as Rick and Morty, American Dream and I would have also added Fated, an amazing narrative and visual experience if it didnt bloody end so abruptly with no sequels planned.

Ghost Giant was very lovely, charming and beautiful production. Interacting with a cute and very talkative protagonist to progress his journey, which was nothing epic, in fact it's a very domestic journey but with a slight underlying sense of poignancy. The vibe is very much a typical French style quirkiness, here depicting a population of talking animals all charmingly voiced. The visual aesthetic is vibrant and pleasing. Control wise is stationary with use of Moves as your ghost hands to interact and grab objects within your reach.

The puzzle solving was wonderful and often clever. There are several times where you have to throw objects so you need to make sure you have a good camera tracking positioning.

As a narrative experience, the game is doesnt come anywhere near the quality and crescendo experiences of Deracine or the complexity and thrill of Eleventh Hour. But the journey was lovely and sweet and I really enjoyed playing as an angelic ghost giant giving little Louis a helping hand on his journey.

The game gives each chapter a tally of collectables and actions which I completed for each chapter but trophy wise it appears there are few more actions to achieve a platinum. I am going to try platinum it as the descriptions on the remaining trophies are not hidden ones. Total playing time was probably about 4 hours. It is a short game but I have been playing several games concurrently in the past few weeks (Ultrawings, Unearthing Mars, Fated, Firewall, Yakuza, Doom VFR) so I was interweaving between them.

So I really enjoyed this but the story did not quite make the same impact as other VR games I have played.

8/10

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom