Ghost/Acronis images

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by abraxus, Jan 16, 2008.

1. abraxus

abraxus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Just a quick (possibly stupid) question regarding back up image software and if anyone uses it to back up media files.

As I understand it the software backs up the data to a compressed proprietory image file. Would this compression therefore degrade the quality to some extent of any video files that are backed up?

2. Sleeco

Sleeco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, I use Acronis all the time, and on doing a recovery I cannot see any loss of quality, it may depend on your system, so try it, I think you can d/l a free trial period.
    Brian. :thumbsup:

3. abraxus

abraxus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Thanks Brian, I actually have Ghost and use it to back up my operating system partition but was wondering about the practicality of using to back up media files.

Another question then if I may, if you have for example a 300mb video file as part of your backup, which you subsequently restore, does the restored file come back as 300mb?

If so where do the missing mb's co in the compressed image file?

4. shrollski

shrollski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Compression used in Ghost, or even Zip / RAR does not care about the type of file being presented, it just compresses it.

Think of Zip and Ghost like this (very simplified) -
    "Here's a file - the next 400 bytes are all 1's, so I'll just store "400*1" in the compressed version. When I come to uncompress I'll put all 400 bytes of 1's back in"

That makes the stored file much smaller, but totally lossless...
    It makes sense that its lossless - what good would a ghost image of Windows be if all the system files were norzed up when you restored them :)

The missing megabytes don't go anywhere, they're mathematically stored in a smaller format.

For images and video compression like divx, the compression is based on "how much loss can I get away with without the quality suffering too much" and "each frame has to be processed and displayed quickly so that its still usable as a video".

hope that helps!

5. abraxus

abraxus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    That helps a lot, thank you.