GFX cards with component outputs

DisguisedCoot

Established Member
Reaction score
Are there any gfx cards out there that ouput via component? i have 1 space left on my component switcher and would like to connect my pc via that. i currenlty use S-video but i am not that impressed by the PQ. my currnet GFX card is A Geforce FX5200.
Current system

P4 2.8GHz
1.5GB ram

Any tips on making the system better would be great

I believe all of the 6600GT's do component, check manufacturer sites to make sure, I know the PNY one I was considering from ebuyer a whhile back does.

ATI sell adapters (also wrongly called 'dongles') separately, not sure about Nvidia, they seem to package theirs is 'home theater' bundles and I've never seen one sold separately, but maybe they're obtainable.

anyone reccomend one?

Ditch the gfx card altogether, this is the biggest difference you can make to improving your machine and would give you component out. The FX5200 was never a good card to be brutally honest. Grab yourself an ATI x800GT/GTO for around £120. They are very fast and have the cables you want. I have one and it is superb value for money, faster than the new X1300/1600's and nice and cheap.

Oh yeah make sure it is AGP and not PCI-E (sorry if I am teaching you to suck eggs just thought I would point it out just in case).

Thanks guys, the ATI x800GT/GTO is one i was looking at. where the best placed to get it from?
:thumbsup:

Here you go, http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=310243 this one is a bit more expensive but it is an All in Wonder version so for the extra £30 you get a TV and radio tuner built in so it can turn your PC into a proper HTPC, especially good if you get Windows MCE 2005. The company is Scan and I have used them for over 8 years and their service has been flawless, just go to http://www.hexus.net and you will see what high esteem they are held in through the UK's largest computer forum.

KraGorn said:
I've never seen one sold separately, but maybe they're obtainable.

I forget the site but Nvidia ones are about £9, only work with certain cards that have the correct number of pins

I can't see any mention of Component outputs? Have your requirements changed? Also it's got a big noisy fan on it....Don't know what your use will be, but if you watch a movie and it has a silent scene that would just spoil it for me.....

looking at the pictures it shows a component cable, yes it will be use for some movie watching but the tower of my pc is in a unit with closed doors so noise is not so much of an issue

Well i just ordered the all in wonder, so it should be here tomorrow. i got it from overclockers in the end. it was easier for me to get it shipped to another address, as i am in the process of changing my address over after a recent move. it had better be good

They are good, identical to the normal GTO just has the extra bits. Wish I had one TBH but when I got mine it wasn't available :( Just make sure you use the latest drivers and you have .NET framework 2.0 installed otherwise things will go a bit iffy!

Can I hi-jack this thread a little bit?

I have installed the Gigabyte GV-NX66T128VP and running the drivers on the CD (version 77.72 I think) the HDTV option appears in the setup wizard and I can select component out. All works well.

I tried updating the drivers to the latest on the Nvidia website and when I install and run the wizard it won't see the HDTv function. VO options are auto select, composite, s-video and scart. None of them work for the component out - the picture appears but the colours are all wrong.

If I uninstall the drivers and re-install the 77.72 release and rerun the wizard all is fine again.

Any suggestions? Do i have to use the Gigabyte drivers to get full functionality?

I had this last weekend when I was 'playing' with the Component output...Above the VO options it is probably set to PAL output....Drop the list down and go all the way up and select HDTV 720P or something like that and you'll see the component output being activated....

Jean-Paul

I'll try it again, but IIRC the HDTV resolutions were greyed out. All that was available were all the different PAL regions.

Shuould receive my gfx card today, the only thing is the card reccomends a psu of 300w min. My current psu use is only 250w. My question is what psu should i replace it with and how easy is it to do?:oops:

If they are greyed out, then you could try to enforce TV detection.....

Are you booting with those connections in place? Mine automatically switches to the correct outputs if only one is connected....

Oh and reseat the Component breakout box, just in case and double check the wiring....

Alternatively theres the beta drivers available which I am using at the moment....

lilesgary said:
Shuould receive my gfx card today, the only thing is the card reccomends a psu of 300w min. My current psu use is only 250w. My question is what psu should i replace it with and how easy is it to do?:oops:

If you can grab an enermax PSU or a Tagan. Both make good PSU's and get something of the 400 - 450 rating. They stock them at Scan, the Enermax I had allowed you to adjust the fan so it could be nigh on silent. You should be able to use your card anyway, it is just a recommendation not complete fact! As long as you aren't playing a game whilst doing other things it should be fine i.e watching a film through those lovely component outs! :D

Jean-Paul

Thanks, I'll have a play. Which drivers are you using?

So how do i get component out from my all in wonder? can i have it connect up to my pc monitor as well as my pj? is it a standard monitor connection?
Sorry new to this pc upgrade stuff:lease:

you should have got a lead with the card for component output. the lead plugs into the tv out socket on the card with colour coded red green and blue rca's on the other end.

gfx card just turned up, but no component adapter:mad: only scart output and svideo cable!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom