GFX card upgrade for this old girl...

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Spoonablehippo, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Spoonablehippo

Spoonablehippo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Hi,
    I have an old http://www.dell.com/us/dfb/p/vostro-420/pd PC that I rescued from the skip at work and casually play the odd steam purchase on, but wanted to get the very best GFX card I can that's available for it & works well with my CPU!

So spec wise, It's the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz version with 8GB DDR2 PC2-8500 RAM , 1TB WD HDD, Blu-Ray drive & original DVD RW and a NVIDIA GT 530 GFX card.

It's no gaming beat by any stretch of the imagination, but plays Portal 2 through HDMI at 1080P, with all settings on absolute maximum and has an average frame rate of around 45fps which knocks the socks off my 360. And its very quick with general computing tasks.

So basically, what's the best gfx card for it taking into account cpu etc. Power supply is not important as I plan on upgrading that anyway.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  2. cokker

cokker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Everything looks pretty standard ATX wise so a new card should just slip in.

The only thing to worry about is the PSU, 350w is cutting it a bit fine for midrange cards, 400 / 450w would be more stable.

Also budget, how much do you want to spend? A £100 will get you an HD 7770 / 7790 or GTX 650 (little slower than the HD 7770), these will be a good bump in performance.

Novatech are doing the GTX 650 ti Boost for £99 at the moment, this is a very good card and a fair bit quicker than the HD 7790.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...ium=affiliate&utm_campaign=1018132_HotUKDeals

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  3. bouncer

bouncer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Your work where just throwing that wonderful machine out?

Any others you could rescue for me? :D

4. cookie11

cookie11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    amazon are doing a gtx660 for £132.
    ps the cpu is still a great processor & will easily OC to 3ghz & more.

5. Frankaaa

Frankaaa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    if you only game a little, id go with the 7850/ gtx 660

6. Spoonablehippo

Spoonablehippo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Hi Guys, sorry to resurrect this threat, but starting to think about sorting this old girl out now lol

So, got a "Cooler Master" RS-500 PSU from a friend (for free) which has gone in, and now for the graphics card!

Thanks for the suggestions above, but are the HD 7850 or 7870 any good? Better or worse than those suggested?

I know my computers old, but the ideas is to get a decent-ish card that will work with it for now, and will work nicely in a modern system when I have the funds to upgrade the rest of it (mobo, CPU & ram)

Cheers guys :)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  7. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,492
    That power supply is a poor quality one that isn't much more powerful than your current one, it only claims to deliver 360W at 12V and looking at reviews it sounds like it can't even stay within the ATX spec when doing that: Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

With that power supply I'd look at the 750ti as it's a new design that's much more efficient than the rest of AMD and nVidia's ranges. Performance-wise it's comparable to a 7850, mid-way between the R260X and R265 and around 90% of the speed of a 650ti Boost.

8. dacads

dacads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    I'd be looking at the R9 270/270x which are the replacements for 7850/7870 but essentially the same