GFX Card Returns Advice

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by brynhh, Feb 8, 2014.

1. brynhh

brynhh
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +749
    I have a MSI TwinFrozr2 560Ti which I bought 3 years ago (Jan 2011), the card itself is fine and currently I use 1 of the DVI ports for my monitor and the mini HDMI into my TV via an adaptor which came with the card.

Earlier I went into Windows display properties to change the display from my monitor to TV and both screens were not detected, only the monitor. So I unplugged the adaptor from the card and the metal was stripped off, leaving just the wires. This metal piece is stuck in the port on the card. I've attached 2 pics.

As people have had various returns on here, just wondering what you think would be the best to do. Try and get it out of the card with pliers and ask Scan for a replacement adaptor, or leave it and try and get a replacement card. Or because of the age am I likely to get nothing at all?

Attached Files:

2. Sebastalona

Sebastalona
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,111
    It looks like there is enough protruding to remove it with a pair of pliers. I'd certainly try that first before going through the inconvenience of trying to get a replacement card. Perhaps put an elastic band around the end of it it so the pliers grip it better.

3. Sniper Ash6

Sniper Ash6
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,677
    Try what Seb's said as I think you may be able to get it if you're careful with some pliers. If that doesn't work then, sadly, I think you'll have a hard time from Scan but let's hope it doesn't come to that.

4. brynhh

brynhh
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +749
    Thanks both, just tried a pliers on it and it came out easily straight away. Do you think it's worth trying to get a new adaptor out of them, or not worth the hassle and just buy one? Also, as a side point, how does audio through DVI work? I remember doing it via a DVI to HDMI adaptor a few years ago, but don't know if it's dependant on the card, drivers, whatever.

5. bladedripper

bladedripper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,527
    560TI , get a new card you tight wad..........:D

6. brynhh

brynhh
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +749
    haha I might do when the 800 series is out, will wanna change the CPU and board too, so need to save up. Got no need at the moment with the games I have anyway. Tomb Raider was about as taxing as it got (maybe Skyrim once I finally start that).