GFX card or cards for new PC.

Matt TRD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all I'm currently configuring my new PC and am unsure which GFX card or cards to go for.

I was initially looking at getting 2 GTX285s in SLI but as I only game at 1920 x 1080 res am now thinking that this may be overkill not to mention the high cost.

I want to avoid multiple GPU single cards due to micro stuttering so that rules out the 295.

Having looked at some benchmarks 2 GTX260s in SLI offer pretty much the same as a single 295 in terms of fps.

So would it be advisable to go with either a single 285 or 2x260s in SLI?

Or any other Nvidia based suggestions?

I would avoid SLi really. Whilst it has got a lot better in recent times, the perrformance benefits often vary depending on the game. Some games don't even show any performance increase with a second card installed. Generally, SLi offers bad performance-per-pound.

On that basis, I'd go for a GTX285.

Although maybe you shouldn't listen to my advice too much, because I've never heard of this micro stuttering you talk about? For an extra £30, an ATi 4870x2 will give better performance hands down. But you seem to have already ruled out ATi as well so I think I'm on to a loser!

Jez

I think 2 GTX260's are a great idea, as evidenced by the benchies available here . They are pretty much the best scaling cards around and will give you great frames at that resolution.

I was considering it myself, but now having seen that 4890's are available for around £160, I'd say that these are pretty much the best bang for buck card you can get. CF two of these and you'll be laughing.

I want to avoid multiple GPU single cards due to micro stuttering so that rules out the 295.

I thought microstuttering was supposed to be worse on SLI/Crossfire solutions than on dual-GPU cards? Mind you, the last thing I read about it was before the GTX 295 release.

Bare in mind that apart from the odd Crysis a GTX 260 will run every game right now at maximum settings and 2xAA/2xAF at 1920x1080 so any money spent above that will only have limited application.

I thought microstuttering was supposed to be worse on SLI/Crossfire solutions than on dual-GPU cards? Mind you, the last thing I read about it was before the GTX 295 release.

Bare in mind that apart from the odd Crysis a GTX 260 will run every game right now at maximum settings and 2xAA/2xAF at 1920x1080 so any money spent above that will only have limited application.

Micro stutter is actually worse on dual GPU cards such as the 295. Wher'as SLI drivers have improved a lot recently.

Yeah crysis brings most cards to their knees. I must admit i'm leaning more towards these 260s now looking at all the benchmarks there just not enough of a difference between the 285 to justify the price.

So it's either a single 285 for gauranteed smooth gaming or 260s SLI for increased performance but will not be suppoted in all games.

2 card sli can also suffer from micro stutter so if i were u id just get a 2gb gtx 285

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom