Gettysburg

Yep, it's kinda impressive to shoehorn that much movie on one disc. The elephant in the room is of course the LOTR movies being split over two discs, but RAH hit the nail squarely on the head in his HTF piece. There are enough 'held' shots in Gettysburg, i.e. they ain't moving much, to allow the bitrate to get low enough so that more bits are freed up for the battle scenes.

The LOTR flicks are much 'busier' films and there will be several extra audio tracks eating into the available disc space too. Even if it's just a nibble, it's still taking precious bits away from the movie encode. Still, it'd be nice to know if Warners actually tested single-disc LOTR:EE encodes and weren't pleased with the results, instead of splitting them just because the DVDs were.

Ok peeps, 271 minutes on a single BD-50 and no compression artifacts. Seems to me that longer films could be released without compromising quality.

Pretty impressive 4h 31m.

Gettysburg Blu-ray: Director's Cut DigiBook

A few words about...™ Gettysburg -- in Blu-ray - Home Theater Forum Community
Brilliant news! Thanks for the info. I just love this film and have watched it at least 5 times through on dvd. This film started me off on a few years research and reading of the fascinating civil war period. Much to my amazement my wife loved it also as it would appear at first hand to be a mans film but not so.It's an incredible film with a surprisingly strong story line for a "war" film. You immediately get drawn into the lives of the various characters over the three days and it's a remarkably emotional experience.
I can understand why some of the amateur enactors openly wept with emotion when they stepped out from the trees to begin Pickets charge in which their forefathers had taken part. The music to this film is also spectacular and I bought a cd of it years ago.Possibly the finest martial music ever composed for a film...wonderful stuff.
Robert Harris's imprimatur is the icing on the cake. If it's good enough for him then it's more than good enough for me.
I'm really looking forward to this and it's region free.Excellent.:smashin:

Shame the follow-up was such a letdown and meant the third never got made. Still interested to see the director cut of Gods & Generals just to see if it improves on it.

Definitely picking up Gettysburg at some point.

I know absolutely nothing about this. What is it a film or TV series?

Hi Captain,

I know absolutely nothing about this. What is it a film or TV series?

It was a three-part TV mini-series with Jeff Daniels, Martin Sheen, Tom Berenger, and many more...

It has always been shown on UK TV in three episodes, each of 2 hours (90 minutes each, if you exclude all adverts), but was shown theatrically and released onto home video as one behemoth movie. :)

More details here on the IMDB.

Pooch

It has always been shown on UK TV in three episodes, each of 2 hours (90 minutes each, if you exclude all adverts), but was shown theatrically and released onto home video as one behemoth movie. :)

More details here on the IMDB.

Pooch
It must have been shown on ITV in that case as it's slipped completely under my radar.

Hi,

It must have been shown on ITV in that case as it's slipped completely under my radar.

Nope. It's only been aired on Sky, on the True Movies and Movies4Men channels. As far as I know, it's never been aired on any other channel in the UK, not even the Sky Movies channels!

Pooch

Hi,

Nope. It's only been aired on Sky, on the True Movies and Movies4Men channels. As far as I know, it's never been aired on any other channel in the UK, not even the Sky Movies channels!

Pooch
I was making a joke.:p. I hardly ever watch ITV. They could be the first to report Aliens on the Whitehouse lawn and I'd never know.

I received Gettysburg this morning. Two discs come in a beautiful digibook form with approx. 50 pages of pictures and info. Really impressive. Only problem with this type of presentation is that its larger than the std. plastic cover and so it will have to be stored with your steelbooks and other "awkward" cases .

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom