1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

getting your pic to look 3D

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by andrew constant, Sep 7, 2003.

1. andrew constant

andrew constant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I own a 36 tosh strata tv and allthough the pic is pretty good it looks very flat compared to a couple of phillips tv. is there anyway you san addjust the contrat settings or something else to get that effect.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    3D Glasses and the 3D DVD titles?

3. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

The reason that the Philips tv had a picture that looked 3D is that it has a picture mode called "natural motion", which is designed to smooth out moving images, but also has the effect of making the picture look 3D.

The Toshiba set won't be able to duplicate this, as it's picture processing is different.

To be honest, many people that own Philips tv's end up turning the "natural motion" off, as many find that the picture looks too artificial. One of my friends owned a Philips tv about three years ago, and he initially loved the "3D" look, but after a while he found it distracting, and he ended up hating the tv and getting rid of it.

4. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMHO the 3D look is more a result of the Pixel+ processing than the "natural motion". Pixel+ enhances edges to give an impression of extra detail and this also increases the "3D" look of the picture by making things in the foreground appear more sharply separated from the background.

It's a great system (despite the well documented flaws of Pixel+). However, my Philips TV (32pw9527) died after 11 months with a blown tube, and after reading about all the other problems with Philips TV's on this forum I have decided to forgo the 3D-ness of Philips for the (hopefully!) better reliability of Panasonc. I ordered a PD30 today.

5. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Philips "Digital Natural Motion" definitely has no effect on the depth of field offered by the set. Pixel+ undoubtedly improves the "3Dness" but i'd also say alot was down to the quality of the Philips tube itself. Loewe use Philips tubes and all Loewe sets i have seen offer excellent depth. That said, my Tosh Strata was also very good in this respect. It could well be worth calibrating your set properly using a disc such as Avia and making sure you are using quality cables - the Supra cables i have are significantly better than the Philex Thor cables.

6. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed this Pseudo 3D enhancing effect with Digital Natural Motion too. However it was extremely irritating and movement looked unnaturally and uncharacteristically over-defined, so I turned it off and the picture still didn't impress me, which is why I steer clear of Philips TVs.

Didn't like Pixel Plus either :)

7. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My friends' Philips was a 1999 model, which was a generation or two before the philips range had the pixel plus feature, and the "3D" effect was certainly evident when the "digital natural motion" was activated.

The effect couldn't be described as "field of depth" on this set. It almost looked like a series of cardboard cutouts standing a few inches out from the background.

This effect was greatly reduced when the "natural motion" was turned off.

8. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    That's surprising. From what i have seen and understand of DNM, it is purely used to smooth out motion by interpolating extra frames. Maybe a side effect is that the foreground movement ends up looking slightly detached from the background as there is generally more movement in the foreground.
    My defintion of 3D though is more to do with the image looking less flat and more like looking through a window.

9. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It could be that the "digital natural motion" function on the later Philips models (such as the models which include pixel plus) has been refined to create a more subtle effect, and look less processed than the earlier models that I had experience of.