1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Windows sounds ou of HERCULES Fotisimo card??

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Messiah, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I a using a hercules fortissimo card and have configured it for digital output through the hercules control panel However, while it is passing DD and DTS soundtracks to my amp just fine (over a digital optical cable) I cannot get it to upsample any non DVD player sourced sounds and play them. i.e. no windows sounds at all.

Does anyone know if this is possible with this card. I also have a Philips Sonic Edge 6.1 card sitting here but as that uses SPDIF not digital optical I would prefer to stick with the fortissimo if possible.

If none of these will work can anyone suggest a good reasonably price sound card that will deliver windows based sounds and DD/DTS soundtracks from a DVDM to my amp. I have considered the M-Audio Revolution but don't want to spend yet more money if what I have should/will work.

Thanks.

2. scottxxx

scottxxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I bought the M-Audio Revolution thinking it would upsample everything to Dolby Digital 5.1 so I could have surround sound in games etc. The card is connected by SPDIF to my receiver. It plays DD/DTS DVDs superbly, but it wont upsample anything and encode it.

It has two modes- analogue and digital, but analogue mode won't output anything to the digital out, although it allows EAX support in games. EAX is disabled in digital mode, so I'm stuck with stero only in everything but DVDs.

Doesn't sound like you should go for one of these. I'm seriously thinking of buying a new motherboard with nForce2 SoundStorm as this encodes ANY source to DD5.1 over the SPDIF and works great, although the sound quality isn't as good as the M-Audio. I'll then put my M-Audio in a HTPC for DivX, MP3, CD, DVDs etc if I can afford to. :)

Also doesn't appear to be any software that will upmix a source to output via the SPDIF. I've got software that will upmix it, but then the drivers downmix it because it isn't encoded. V. Annoying for a £70+ sound card.

-Scott

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Messiah,

The Fort 3 will do exactly what you want BUT not at the same time as passing a DD signal. It will do one or the other and will need a restart in between. There is some messing around you can do in device manager to get around the restart but I won't go into that right now.

If you look on the control panel there are a number of options for digital output. I can't remember which one does what but if you pick one and do a restart it will quickly become obvious.

That is how the Fort 3 works anyway, hopefully it will be similar for your card.

I use the Fort 3 in my HTPC and it is always set to pass through DD/DTS. I use the USB connection to my 2011 for windows sounds. I knew that feature would come in handy.

Don't even get me started on my Revolution, that thing has more bugs than I care to think about. I'm running a Videologic SonicFury AND the Rev 7.1 in my main PC. The Rev only gets used for mic input and when I use headphones. One day they will have decent drivers for it, I hope.