• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Getting V+ installed tomorrow, what shall I ask/enquire/do

MrMav11

Hi I currently have a digi STB form Virgin.

I have upgraded to V+ and they are coming tomorrow. I only hae a CRT at the monent, but am busy looking and about to buy a 40" LCD.

What shall I ask the installers, any tricks/quirks I should ask form them?

Ihave a RF to my TV upstairs but heard now that using HDMI disables the RF output, bit of a bummer but heard that in setting you can change to scart and it then outputs ok, just means cant wtch V+ downstairs and upstairs at same time.

I would like to hear from people who have got V+ on what to ask etc.

cheers

Ben

What shall I ask the installers, any tricks/quirks I should ask form them?

I'd ask for an HDMI cable. In the unlikely event the installer asks why, just say you're picking up your HD LCD tomorrow.

just means cant wtch V+ downstairs and upstairs at same time.

You can, just not in HD. Just connect your new LCD via scart/RF (aswell as HDMI) & the upstairs TV via RF. Then when you turn off HDMI, it'll output to both TVs :)

MrMav11

ah ok so when I have my HD TV, I will do this :-

Have the HDMI from the V+ to the LCD TV
Have a Scart from the V+ to the LCD TV
Have a RF from the V+ upstairs

Leave all cables connected, when watching downstairs normally use the HDMI, if both me and wife want to watch V+ one up and one down then select in the setting of the V+ to Scart?

Cn we watch 2 different channels up and downstairs? 1 via RF 1 via scart?

cheers

Ben

ah ok so when I have my HD TV, I will do this :-

Have the HDMI from the V+ to the LCD TV
Have a Scart from the V+ to the LCD TV
Have a RF from the V+ upstairs

Leave all cables connected, when watching downstairs normally use the HDMI, if both me and wife want to watch V+ one up and one down then select in the setting of the V+ to Scart?

Bingo :thumbsup:

Cn we watch 2 different channels up and downstairs? 1 via RF 1 via scart?

Don't think so I'm afraid :(

MrMav11

thats a shame same channel only? the V+ has 3 tuners as well seems a waste that.

when watching downstairs only, you can watch one channel and record 2 different channels though cant you?

clayts450

Make sure he sets your PIN before he leaves. Mine didn't and it meant a phone call to customer services to sort it out.

S

sjaddy

make sure he leaves you a Viewing card also. The guy installing mine didnt even though the message on the screen said it was missing.

then took me 9 days to get VM to agree to send someone out to me with a card because they didnt believe me that one of their engineers would forget something so basic!

MrMav11

ok he's been and put it in, its V+ black one!! great as thats what I wanted as going to get a LCD TV and most are black.

My pin was the same and I tried a few channels to confirm card was in ok.

Seems a great bit of kit, not much HD though even though havent got HD TV yet.

love the pause flexibilty.

He said as didnt say I had a HD TV when booked he didnt have a HDMI lead, asked him if got one in van - he did so am sorted for that when get a LCD TV

Cocacola

make sure he leaves you a Viewing card also. The guy installing mine didnt even though the message on the screen said it was missing.

then took me 9 days to get VM to agree to send someone out to me with a card because they didnt believe me that one of their engineers would forget something so basic!
I am getting V+ fitted next week What's a viewing card?

MrMav11

its the card that aloows you to view!! ;)

It goes inside the box, behind the slot, think the V+ on eis at the back,he will put in, and you'll never have to touch never have mine in about 5 years I have had Telewest/Virgin.

Just flick thorugh the channels when he is there to ensure you can see them all

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom