Getting Used To Glasses ?

Venomx999

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Was prescribed glasses this week just gone and I wear them for watching films etc, so an hour or so each day.

I Find the frames mildly distracting as I can see them in my peripheral vision, is this normal, or should I return them ?

Thanks

It's perfectly normal to start off with. I've worn glasses since I was 10 and still have the same issue when I change my specs.One way to reduce that is to get rimless or semi-rimless frames.

It might take you a while longer to tune them out as you're only wearing them occasionally.

I agree, it's just something you don't even think about after a while.

Of course, frame size may be a contributory factor. Perhaps selecting a style of frame, slightly larger, would make the frames less intrusive for you.

716ee8c4322da32ca7a86c42d6fe9152.jpg

An odd effect with my glasses and I have had it as long as I can remember if I take them off whilst walking along a road I feel taller, it does not happen indoors, should I seek medical help?:)

No you’d just make a spectacle of yourself.

Been wearing glasses since about 2005 and am used to them, but I still want laser surgery.

I'm afraid they do just suck. Having said that some are much better than others. Try to get some half rim ones with light colour light weight frames. Unfortunately the UK is a rip-off for glasses but you can get decent ones online for not too much money.

An odd effect with my glasses and I have had it as long as I can remember if I take them off whilst walking along a road I feel taller, it does not happen indoors, should I seek medical help?:)

I had this a couple of years ago. I got tested at Specsavers, they told me I needed glasses, so I then spent over £200 on glasses/ sunglasses. I wore them for a week and couldn't shake this weird feeling that when I was wearing them, I felt about a foot shorter! I put up with it for that one week and went back for a return and full refund. I've since had my eyes tested again (quite recently) and my vision is near perfect (6/6 in my right eye, 6/5 in my left). I can't for the life of me work out what happned 2 years ago. Are Specsavers the Kwik-Fit* of the optician world?

*although they are much better now than they used to be, back in the 90's/ 00's Kwik Fit were renowned for being a bunch of cowboys.

I had this a couple of years ago. I got tested at Specsavers, they told me I needed glasses, so I then spent over £200 on glasses/ sunglasses. I wore them for a week and couldn't shake this weird feeling that when I was wearing them, I felt about a foot shorter! I put up with it for that one week and went back for a return and full refund. I've since had my eyes tested again (quite recently) and my vision is near perfect (6/6 in my right eye, 6/5 in my left). I can't for the life of me work out what happned 2 years ago. Are Specsavers the Kwik-Fit* of the optician world?

*although they are much better now than they used to be, back in the 90's/ 00's Kwik Fit were renowned for being a bunch of cowboys.
Oddly I do not feel shorter when I put my glasses on just taller when I take them off outside.
I keep meaning to mention it to my optician but never remember.

You’re not short sighted are you? :)

Speaking to an optician from a PROPER eye shop, who was very knowledgeable and caring.
She did say, in her opinion, the procedure where they cut a tiny slit in your eye, and implant a tiny lens was a much better option. Being a very well tried and tested procedure, and if ever needed, the lens could be removed at a later date.
She felt this was far less risky and worked better than the laser eye craze.

Can read a bit about it here:
This Is What You Need To Know About Implantable Contact Lenses

Speaking to an optician from a PROPER eye shop, who was very knowledgeable and caring.
She did say, in her opinion, the procedure where they cut a tiny slit in your eye, and implant a tiny lens was a much better option. Being a very well tried and tested procedure, and if ever needed, the lens could be removed at a later date.
She felt this was far less risky and worked better than the laser eye craze.

Can read a bit about it here:
This Is What You Need To Know About Implantable Contact Lenses

Are you suggesting some opticians aren't 'proper' opticians? :thumbsdow

Are you suggesting some opticians aren't 'proper' opticians? :thumbsdow

Far be it from me to tar individuals with a wide brush, as I'm sure there are excellent professionals in many establishments.
I can of course, only speak from personal experience, having visited a few large high street chain stores that offer this, against the small optician that's been there for many years.
Just my experience has been those in the long running small established stores, gave me much more time, care, and able to answer questions in a much more, shall I say it, medically way, than my experience in the large stores.
More like speaking to an actual doctor if you can understand what I mean.

I couldn't get on with glasses so switch to daily disposable contacts, much better for me.

I had both.
Glasses for work (old ones)
Glasses if I'm driving, or going out for the day.
Disposable contacts for when I went swimming or on holiday.

Far be it from me to tar individuals with a wide brush, as I'm sure there are excellent professionals in many establishments.
I can of course, only speak from personal experience, having visited a few large high street chain stores that offer this, against the small optician that's been there for many years.
Just my experience has been those in the long running small established stores, gave me much more time, care, and able to answer questions in a much more, shall I say it, medically way, than my experience in the large stores.
More like speaking to an actual doctor if you can understand what I mean.

Fair enough :)

I change my glasses regularly as they get dusty etc at work so I use one of the chains mainly due to cost...

I've been wearing glasses since I was knee high to a grasshopper. You certainly adjust to them over time. In the 30 odd years of specs it still takes me a while to adjust to a new pair. The fit, frame thickness, extra clarity etc

Don't tap out too soon.

That's a common effect of your glasses correcting your astigmatism. When you don't wear them it isn't being corrected.

Astigmatism

It's perfectly normal to start off with. I've worn glasses since I was 10 and still have the same issue when I change my specs.One way to reduce that is to get rimless or semi-rimless frames.

It might take you a while longer to tune them out as you're only wearing them occasionally.

mind, some years ago I got a pair of frameless specs and I always got confused with my peripheral vision due to the fact there were no frames... got used to it in the end...

and there was a study where some people had specs on that turned the world upside down and within a week they could see normal... :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom