• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Getting the XBox 360 HD-Drive to play on PC

Gae

Established Member
Ok so I posted the following in the HD-DVD player forum but thought I might get more response here.....

So far so good. I installed the driver
and the PC is reading the HD-DVD drive as a standard DVD drive. After inserting the King Kong disc I can explore it and it contains the following 4 folders....
AACS
AACS_BAK
ADV_OBJ
HVDVD_TS

Inside these folders are data files which aren't yet associated with anything so I guess I need the right software...WinDVD 8 maybe? I'll try later with software as I have to go to work soon. The HVDVD_TS folder contains all the film files "Feature" "Menus" "Languages" "Screensaver" etc etc. The "Feature" files are 13 GB in size and show up as EVO files.

Anyone know of/and or have a link to software that will play the HD-DVD please? Many thanks

Gae

Aminator

Established Member
cyberlink power DVD 7 supports h.264 hd playback so you can run the TS file through that

Gae

Established Member
cyberlink power DVD 7 supports h.264 hd playback so you can run the TS file through that

They're not h.264 files but EVO files unrecognised by Win XP or Power DVD 7...I've tried it via PowerDVD 7 and it just says "unrecognised format in drive F:.

Thanks for the input though...keep them coming :smashin:

Gae

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
They're not h.264 files but EVO files unrecognised by Win XP or Power DVD 7...I've tried it via PowerDVD 7 and it just says "unrecognised format in drive F:.

Thanks for the input though...keep them coming :smashin:

Gae

I *believe* the Japanese version of WinDVD will do what you want.

[Edit] - WinDVD 8 Platinum apparently....

arfster

Established Member
PDVD7 doesn't work, because although it supports h264, it doesn't do AACS decryption. However, PowerDVD 6.5 does work - indeed, some of us are using it with the xbox360 drive right now *ahem*

WinDVD8 only partly works, in that it produces a picture, but one that it is downscaled to 1/4 full resolution. Kinda defeats the point of HD.

Last I heard, PowerDVD aim to release a new HDversion supporting HD-DVD in a few weeks. A proper WinDVD release won't be far away either.

Gae

Established Member
OK, I tried the Power DVD 6.5 HD-DVD software and here are my results. My King Kong HD-DVD started up and played the Universal logo and music perfectly smoothly. Following this, the HD-DVD logo appeared and just as I was getting excited, the screen went blank before the next pages/menu loaded and the error came up "PowerDVD has experienced a problem....blah blah blah."

Drat and I thought it was gonna work.

Any ideas? Is the fact that the Universal logo and music played perfectly well evidence that my setup is OK and HDCP capable or is the logo seperate from the main feature (in the sense that HDCP doesnt kick in during this?)
I'm using the NVidia Geforce 6200 turbocache graphics card which seems to work fine. My system is a dual core Pentium D 3.2 GHz.
Could this just be a software/settings conflict somewhere?

Thanks for any info.

Gae

Abstrakt

Established Member
Gae,

Several European titles are reported not to work with the OEM version of PowerDVD 6.5 HD DVD that is floating around, even though the US editions of the same movies work just fine. King Kong EU is one of those problematic titles that either hang or crash PDVD after the studio logo, right before getting to the main menu.

Here are the working & not working titles I've been able to confirm thus far:

European titles working with PowerDVD:
  • Apollo 13
  • Enter the Dragon
European titles NOT working with PowerDVD:
  • Full Metal Jacket
  • GoodFellas
  • King Kong
  • Serenity
  • V for Vendetta

Gae

Established Member
Thanks for that Abstrakt. I might get me a copy of those movies then. Hopefully, the new PowerDVD software and other software will be available soon though.

Gae

N

napdan

i guess i'm experiencing the same problem with mission impossible 3 & powerdvd 6.5 hd.
it says: "protected content" just after the language selection menu.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom